Non Such Vs Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mittleme

Non Such Vs Wallington

Post by Mittleme »

Hi All

still trying to decide which one of these schools to put higher in my CAF list .

Non such is my preferred school for some personal reasons and also we were quite impressed with the Organisation on the Exam day compared to Walli when i took DD to take her exams. Unfortunately we forgot to go for the Open day as we were too glued to attending Wallingtons open day due to the fact that we missed previous years especially since they always have it in June/July and did not realise Non such wasn't too far ( doable in about 20mins with no traffic)

Journey times on the Exam day was 25 mins by car with no traffic (of course we set out early morning about 7:50a.m) but took a frustrating one hour when going to pick up DD infact we were 30mins late. she was the only one left .

The only reason i would be tempted to go for Wallington is because its nearer but not straightforward( estimated journey times by car 10mins but will take 2 bus rides to get to school so 30mins

1. does anyone have any experience of their DD's travelling to school a bit far away?

2. Could parents with DDs in NON Such please tell me their experience of this school.

i just want to be sure going to a farther away school is really worth that travel and i believe there must be DD's travelling to NON Such from Croydon etc.

3. to make it worse the reaction i get from friends living locally as us when i say we prefer NON Such is " How is she going to get there'

hmmnnn!!!!!

i need all your kind advise please before i click on the submit button for the CAF .

thanks all in anticipation
Last edited by Mittleme on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
loopylou

Re: Non Such Vs Wallington

Post by loopylou »

Can she travel by train to either of them? Estimating journey times and assuming no traffic isn't much help because, depending on your route, there is a lot of traffic on the roads at 8am and 3:30pm in those areas. The one hour collection for Nonsuch was probably partially due to exam traffic but it is far from traffic free on other days.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Thanks Loopylou

this is what i gathered from the internet
1. No trains to Wallington - 2 buses from South Croydon but Not straight forward journey intact. so will take about 30mins for DD to get to school .

2. Trains to Cheam ( Non such ) -

a) BUS from South croydon to west croydon/east croydon- 15 mins but can be worse in traffic

b) West Croydon to Cheam- 21minutes train( train journey is not bad at all.
Last edited by Mittleme on Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

Bear in mind that the school day at Wallington ends at 2.50 pm , whereas Nonsuch finishes at 3.20pm (yet the 2 schools begin their days at the same time)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

It is worth bearing in mind that Nonsuch and Wallington are now a newly-formed multi-academy trust, so issues relating to management, policies etc are likely to mean that the schools become more similar over the next 5 years. You haven't stated the reasons for your preference for Nonsuch, but it is worth considering the fact that there is now one executive head over both schools, and staff are employed by the same trust.

Travel is an issue I'm afraid, especially if you are from South Croydon. Given the fact that it is closer with a dedicated 612 school bus route through Purley, Sanderstead and Selsdon, it is inevitable that many girls from this area will favour Wally Girls over Nonsuch, and you will find a group of girls from that bus living nearby (relatively speaking of course!) - many initial friendships are made on the bus. I suspect that the journey via West Croydon will have fewer Nonsuch girls on it. I guess in part it will depend on how many afterschool activities she ends up doing. You also have to pay for the train whilst the bus is free. Personally I would prefer a changeover in Purley than West Croydon on a wet winter evening, but horses for courses.

I guess I have both of my children travelling some distance to the school, but their journey is relatively straightforward and they get door-to-door lifts about half the time. Whilst there are closer schools, I felt that one of my dc would fail to thrive in a single-sex environment so went for a coed despite it being further away.

I do wonder how often one could get to Nonsuch in 20 minutes, especially for parents meetings/evenings/concerts/shows/exhibitions etc
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

[quote][/quote]
lady muck wrote

I do wonder how often one could get to Nonsuch in 20 minutes, especially for parents meetings/evenings/concerts/shows/exhibitions etc

Thanks lady muck

1. Yes i thought about your last statement too- i dont think that 20min journeys possible. and as a parent- this is important to attend most of these activities

2. nice advise for thoughts - the head teachers speech mentioned this newly formed multi academy trust between the 2 schools so ur correct - i think they will become very similar

my personal choice for NON Such is

1. looking through the league tables of top schools they are much higher than Walli in terms of their results

2. i am all for a school that will help my child grow in her faith. and i feel they will have an impact.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

Well I don't think that Nonsuch is a faith school any more that Wallington. Are you thinking about faith clubs and societies?
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Gringo64 -- No am not talking about faith Clubs as such. but was just thinking their school Logo "Serve God" says something.

Thats fine maybe its just my thinking.

thanks for Clarifying
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

Apparently, ' Serve God and be Cheerful' is the Sutton and Cheam motto; it is on the Sutton and Cheam coat of arms. My daughters learned about this in a geography lesson.

I think it is an excellent motto though, particularly for a person with faith.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Gringo64-----Do u have your DD's in any of these schools ?

please share you/their experiences. you can PM me if you want
Last edited by Mittleme on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.