Sports goggles

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

onebigdilemma

Sports goggles

Post by onebigdilemma »

Anyone know cheapest place to get prescription sports goggles for football, rugby etc. Cheapest I have found is £80 which seems a lot, especially as I have 2 children that need them!!
copella

Re: Sports goggles

Post by copella »

Try spec savers. Not sure how much we paid but definitely less than £80. Think more around £50.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Ha that was a Specsavers price!!
copella

Post by copella »

Clearly they have pushed their prices up. Have you gone to independent optitions?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Are contact lenses an option?
I had a look online as we buy prescription swimming goggles, but couldn't find any rugby goggles cheaper than the £80 you already quoted.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

This may be of interest.

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document ... eutral.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd definitely talk to a registered dispensing optician, in some high street opticians the person selling the spectacles does not have to be registered or qualified, however all sales of all glasses to U16s should be supervised by a qualified and registered person. Looking at the RFU position They have to be supplied by a registered optician. I'd definitely stay away from online suppliers.

Contact lenses are often a better option, but also talk to your optometrist, children who wear glasses in class often manage sports just fine without. Don't assume wearing goggles is safer than not.

£80 may seem a lot, but compared to boots/custom gum shield/other kit, for something specific for you and to protect your eyes...
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Yes wouldn't be happy with getting online. Will check out local opticians this week.
We tried contact lenses but they didn't get on with them, probably ok in a couple of years but at 11 they weren't happy with them.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Just got 2 pairs of glasses for my DD from Specsavers - they do a buy 1 get one free basically, would that work for your boys? (If their prescriptions are the same?) Cheeky, but I'd definitely consider for twins!
yunny

Post by yunny »

Try Amazon as they do prescription goggles, much cheaper too but not sure if any good, my son does swimming but wears contacts, however, the goggles have to be super tight on him. Hth
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

onebigdilemma wrote:Yes wouldn't be happy with getting online. Will check out local opticians this week.
We tried contact lenses but they didn't get on with them, probably ok in a couple of years but at 11 they weren't happy with them.
I used a major online glasses suppliers and I have to say I was happier with them than with my local optician (though I had to find out fit and everything from my local optician first, if you know what I mean!).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now