Low score Bucks review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pidge

Low score Bucks review

Post by pidge »

Our DD did not pass the transfer selection test and has a score of 113.

The HT has strongly recommended her for a place at a selective school and rated her 1.1. We do have an extenuating circumstance which I have posted to the appeals box as specific to the school.

We have spent hours reading the appeal forum info which has been very helpful however it is still a very difficult decision whether to go for review first. Does anyone else have experience of review with a low score? We are still unsure whether to go for review or go straight to appeal.

Current performance:
Reading 5B
Writing 4B
Maths 4B

Predicted:
Reading 5A
Writing 5C
Maths 5B
Guest55

Re: Low score Bucks review

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome -

The Headteacher will need to put predictions in the right format - levels aren't used any more. The prediction do look a bit ambitious given current levels and my feeling is that an appeal might be better if 'rapid progress' is expected.

What were KS1 levels? How did other 1:1s do; did they qualify?

I'm sure our experts will be along later to comment on your case.
pidge

Post by pidge »

Thank you for your response

The HT did say the predictions are in the old format because county haven't provided a mechanism in which to convert like for like. He pointed out that county are aware of the problem.

KS1 results were:
End yr2
Reading 2A
Writing 2B
Maths 2A

End Yr 3
Reading 3b
Writing 3C
maths 3C

End yr 4
Reading 4C
Writing 3A
math 3A

End 5yr
Reading 5C
Writing 4B
Maths 4A

Current performance Oct 15
Reading 5B
Writing 4A
Maths 4A

CATS Nov 2014 overall 125

I don't know how many 1.1's qualified, is that information we can request?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is a format on the review sheet for the HT to follow so predictions need to be in that form.

KS1 are at expectation (2b) or just above so do, I think, weaken the case. Nationally about half of children make level 5 from level 2a.

Yes, I would ask about other predictions because the review panel will have that information and you need to know whether the Head was accurate.

The review will want the breakdown of the CATs by strand - so you need to know whether any weaknesses match the 'dips' in the component scores. How many of the three areas were below 121?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome from me too! :D
it is still a very difficult decision whether to go for review first.
Agreed!
Most parents go blindly into a review, unaware of all the issues.
The more you know about reviews v. appeals, the more you realise there are no easy answers.
KS1 results were:
End yr2
Reading 2A
Writing 2B
Maths 2A
We get the impression that review panels in particular like to see steady 'progression', starting with level 3s at KS1.
I don't know how many 1.1's qualified, is that information we can request?
You can try, but some primary heads seem very reluctant to reveal the information (perhaps because it reflects on them!). The point you could make is that, if you were to go to appeal, that information will be included for you in the case papers, so you will get to see it anyway!

As a rough guide, I would suggest that if fewer than 70% of so of those with 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 qualified, it might cast doubt on your 1:1.
A 50% success rate (or less) would almost certainly devalue it. There is a price to be paid if heads are seen to be overoptimistic!

The important part of the 1:1 is the first '1' (because grammar school entry should be based on ability).
But when I read your head's comments in section 6, although they're clearly meant to be very nice and supportive, the emphasis seems to be on hard work and motivation (the second part of the 1:1) rather than intellect. I don't think this will go down well with either a review or an appeal panel.
Moreover, "contribution to the school" has no relevance.

There may not be much you can do about this now, as headteachers are told not to change the summary sheet in response to parental pressure!
If you eventually go for an appeal (with or without a review) you could try asking the head for a update in April, and diplomatically suggest that more of a focus on intellectual ability rather than work ethic might help!

If a pupil is given the highest possible headteacher recommendation, shouldn't the strength of support be greater than a 3 on my scale of 1-6? :roll:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Review panels will look very closely at the wording used in section 6. The headteachers manual says: "Be aware that your choice of language on the form is important as it will indicate the degree of support you are expressing."
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now