I/C 1st choice WHSB - anyone else? or are we crazy??!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

angelmummy

I/C 1st choice WHSB - anyone else? or are we crazy??!

Post by angelmummy »

Hi all,

So, we've spent the last few weeks since results day contemplating which school to choose as 1st preference for our DS. We are I/C for both SHSB and WHSB - WHSB being slightly nearer. Initially, we wanted WHSB, then swung nearer to SHSB and now back possibly to WHSB! :lol:

We attended both open evenings in the summer and really liked WHSB, but also were happy with SHSB! We have also been to both enquiry evenings last week. DS has no particular preference and has good friends from school that will be going to both.

It looks as though we may be swaying back towards WHSB but I wondered if anyone else has chosen this for their son as a 1st choice? I've heard stories just like everyone else has, but surely all 184 children in Yr 7 aren't unhappy with the education they receive?!! Our son is quite studious, gets his head down at school and isn't particularly sporty (he enjoys music too).

I know every child is different but would really appreciate any inside info from boys who are already at WHSB - are they thriving / surviving??! Is anyone else choosing WHSB over SHSB?

1 more week until final decision time, help.......... :?

Thanks!! x
Addad

Re: I/C 1st choice WHSB - anyone else? or are we crazy??!

Post by Addad »

We spent a lot of time considering various things for both SHSB and WHSB and at the end decided to go for SHSB as our First choice.
Storygirl

Post by Storygirl »

Hi angel mum,
My son started whsb this sep. He didn't know anyone until induction and uniform day. He has made lots of friends both i/c and o/c and enjoys it. He is not particularly sporty either or studious for that matter, but he finds the lessons interesting. It has a reputation for being strict, but as he says...If a teacher tells you not to do something, then you do it anyway, you should expect to be told off.
2sons

Post by 2sons »

Hi - i/c ds in yr 8. It was 1st choice for us - mainly because it's easier for ds to get to on public bus, than shsb would have been. He really enjoys school and we've been pleased with all aspects. No regrets!

As others have said the school has high expectations on behaviour, appearance, doing as asked etc but nothing that I consider unreasonable. Homework levels have been fine - helped by ds's that will do approach!

I definitely support going with the school that is easiest to get to and from, as it was the traveling that caused anxiety in the early days x
cuppa-t

Post by cuppa-t »

Hi, go with the one you feel is the best match. The boys that showed us round at whsb were happy, polite and loved their school, they also live in catchment and had put in first. (I asked!) :)
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

I have a DS in yr8 at whsb - only time he's told off is when he forgets things! His brother is applying to wshb too. We are in catchment and happy with the school. Ds2 choose Whsb himself, as I was happy with either school.

Well done on passing, not many I/c boys did this year :-(
It's me

Post by It's me »

Hi, we are in catchment for both but we preferred Westcliff, that is our first choice! Southend seemed very different to us on the open evening. Good luck!
It's me

Post by It's me »

Good3boys wrote:I have a DS in yr8 at whsb - only time he's told off is when he forgets things! His brother is applying to wshb too. We are in catchment and happy with the school. Ds2 choose Whsb himself, as I was happy with either school.

Hi, do you know how many I/c did pass???
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It's me wrote:
Good3boys wrote:I have a DS in yr8 at whsb - only time he's told off is when he forgets things! His brother is applying to wshb too. We are in catchment and happy with the school. Ds2 choose Whsb himself, as I was happy with either school.

Hi, do you know how many I/c did pass???
It has already been posted on a recent Essex thread. ?209 boys and a few more girls?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Malena

Post by Malena »

Hi, our son is also considering WHSB as his first choice. Can anyone tell me what are the main reasons for local boys to prefer SHSB? We are o/c but his score should be enough for either. I have only found this forum a couple of days ago so I haven't had a chance to look through threads yet. Can anyone point me towards some info? We went to both open evenings and enquiry days and liked them both. Thanks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now