How best to word parents selection review 2016

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hazelwatson1282

How best to word parents selection review 2016

Post by hazelwatson1282 »

Dear all. My son only scored 110 in his Transfer Testing however 46 minutes into the second test his friend broke down in tears, was very noisy, exited and re-entered the examination hall several times. My son was sitting by the door and the disturbance was both physical and emotional. My son was soo upset that he could not console his pal and even when the boy exited the room for the final time my son could hear him wailing in the corridor.
I have gained evidence of the invigilators report but have no experience of how to structure the selection review notes. The Head Teacher has supported him with a 1:1, and has predicted him a 5a, 5a and 6 for the end of year 6. His school reports for year 5 and 4 are exemplary. How can I best word the selection review please. Many thanks. :shock:
Guest55

Re: How best to word parents selection review 2016

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome. Have you read the guidance in the sticky?

Focus on academic progress from KS1 - levels are gone so the Headteacher needs to use the correct format on the form. Add reports if they comment on academic strength rather than 'works hard', 'library monitor' etc.

It will probably revolve around how strongly his/her words support the case and how realistic the recommendations were.

How many 1:1s qualified?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Welcome!

There is guidance on this point in the Appeals Q&As, point B21: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maz123

Post by Maz123 »

Hello, i really feel for you. I have been through the new review process. Pleased to say I was successful with 115. However , I think your circumstances are exceptional. The disturbance throughout the test in my opinion was not handled well. Minutes of distraction during the test can certainly affect the result. With a 1:1 support from the Headteacher is certainly a huge plus . I know of an appeal with only 2:3 support from the Head and this child was only 2 marks off. Was not successful. I know of another child 109 - did not get through the review but got through by appealing directly to the school as he had 1:1 support and level 6 Sats predicted . It was definitely the right school for him. Every situation is different.
In your letter keep it honest, factual and brief. It was the hardest letter we ever wrote... Wishing you the best of luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now