Confuse with preference list for future appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
krishnags

Confuse with preference list for future appeal

Post by krishnags »

Hi,

I have gone through the FAQ but couldn't find answer.

My child got qualified for bucks (more than 121) but he scored only 110 in Berks.
Berks was our first choice due to commute distance.

In CAF, We decided to put Berks schools in list of preference before Bucks, so we can make appeals once it is rejected.
Burnham will be our choice in bucks as this is nearest (7 miles in Out of Area).

So my questions are here..
1. Do we need to put Berks grammar schools in preference list so we can appeal when it is rejected.

2. If we put Burnham in fourth/fifth choice, Do we loose chances of getting place as it was not our first choice in CAF ?

I would appreciate expert can give advise on this please..

Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Confuse with preference list for future appeal

Post by Tinkers »

Where you put Burnham will not affect your chances of getting it.

You should put the schools in your true order of preference. You should out whichever Berks school you want on there higher than burnham, so that you will then be able to appeal when you are refused a place.

Which Berks school are you looking at?
krishnags

Post by krishnags »

We are looking at st. bernard and upton court as there are no chance for langley i think.

One of my friend told me that each grammar school has their criterion, they might not like if you don't put them in first choice. Is it true ?
He said if you don't put Burnham as your first/second choice then chances are less of getting place. As they might allocated places to someone who already have put Burnham as their first/second choice. Is it true ?

Doe LA treat all my choice with equal preference system for each school?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

krishnags wrote:We are looking at st. bernard and upton court as there are no chance for langley i think.

One of my friend told me that each grammar school has their criterion, they might not like if you don't put them in first choice. Is it true ?
He said if you don't put Burnham as your first/second choice then chances are less of getting place. As they might allocated places to someone who already have put Burnham as their first/second choice. Is it true ?

Doe LA treat all my choice with equal preference system for each school?
Please tell your friend (very nicely, of course :) ) that he is an idiot.

Schools consider each application solely against their published admissions criteria and in complete ignorance as to where you have ranked then on your CAF. This is a legal requirement. Please read through your LEA's guidance on completing the CAF as it will explain in more detail the equal preference and coordinated admissions systems.

If your friend is also applying for a school place this week, get him to read it, too, as a matter of urgency :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
krishnags

Post by krishnags »

Thank you ToadMum for positive vibe.

I just google and found this
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ns-code--2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are your referring this LEA guidance ??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

krishnags wrote:Thank you ToadMum for positive vibe.

I just google and found this
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ns-code--2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are your referring this LEA guidance ??
Everything your LEA tells you must be according to the Admissions Code, but I was actually talking about the condensed version that your LEA includes in its Secondary School Admissions document / on its website. Everyone should read this before completing and submitting their CAF.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

krishnags wrote:I have gone through the FAQ but couldn't find answer.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now