Jekyll and Hyde

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Jekyll and Hyde

Post by JaneEyre »

I missed the first episode of Jekyll and Hyde last Sunday. But the comments I can read in the press is that it is not truthful to the novel by Stevenson that I really enjoyed. What were your reactions to this episode? Did you enjoy it or did you find it too gory for no reason and clearly overdone compared to the book itself?
Last edited by JaneEyre on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booellesmum

Re: Jekyll and Hyde

Post by booellesmum »

Just watched first episode with our 14 and 11 year olds. Didn't think it was much worse than Dr.Who, but not suitable for younger children or those prone to nightmares! I thought it was good and looking forward to next episode.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We enjoyed it but found it dark and in places gory, possibly more so than Dr Who, and we did feel that it wasn't suitable for 6.30pm on a Sunday and needed to be later. The children, 14 and 11, did wonder why it wasn't on at 8pm and really couldn't see why the X factor needed that slot as it wasn't as scary.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I saw Charlie Higson discuss it at Comic Con at the weekend. He didn't want to follow the book entirely, and was playing around with the idea of good/evil not being clear-cut, the 'monster within', which was why the transformation is shown to revert to a charming Hyde with an evil core, and wanted it to be fun, like the programmes made in the 1960's and 70's. There are various monsters in the series and common threads linking the episodes, and to the original book. The scene at the window with the woman watching his grandfather brutally attack someone is in the book. He wanted more female characters too, as there are only 2 in the entire book.

Separate to the TV show, I contacted his PA about a library visit, but he's off writing a series in LA now:)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Charlie higson is visiting John hampden grammar school in a few weeks, hopefully the boys will enjoy his visit, I have been stung for a few zombie books for him to sign, even though they dislike that sort of genre normally!

There have been so many adaptations over the years, some such as the James nesbitt one, are definitely adults only, some are simple, easy reproductions of the book. However without a bit of gruesome the new series wouldn't really capture the original idea and without a bit of tweaking it wouldn't be as fun to watch.
I bought the book again a few year back, but had to re-buy it on kindle because it had been given the classic book treatment......tiny tiny print on tissue thin paper, my old eyes can't cope with that.

I get a real bee in my bonnet when people say things like, "it brought the Jekyll" out of me, it's not hard for goodness sakes, there are just two characters!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks for all your replies! :D They are so interesting.
And thanks for the article, quasimodo. The pictures placed in it helped me to take my decision regarding my viewing of this programme or not.
succeed

Post by succeed »

JaneEyre wrote: And thanks for the article, quasimodo. The pictures placed in it helped me to take my decision regarding my viewing of this programme or not.
As you had already said you'd read the press reports, I think you may also have already read these alternative offerings , but just in case :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... y-fun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... lie-higson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

MedievalBabe wrote:The children, 14 and 11, did wonder why it wasn't on at 8pm and really couldn't see why the X factor needed that slot as it wasn't as scary.
I think that's debateable. Simon Cowell gives me the creeps and Cheryl's starting to look more and more like one of the living dead...

(BTW I didn't see J&H but might try to watch it on Catch Up if its any good and on there?)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

succeed wrote: As you had already said you'd read the press reports, I think you may also have already read these alternative offerings , but just in case :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... y-fun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... lie-higson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
I had just read the article from the Telegraph, but none of the two articles you brought up (thanks for the links :wink: ) have graphical images like the Dailymail! :lol: :lol:

I feel on a safer path by watching Downton Abbey that I am just starting to discover with episode 1 of serie 1 on DVD. (I know, I have missed many boats :lol: :lol:.. but I am getting there! )
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now