Dartford Grammar - International Baccalaureate

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cocoloco

Dartford Grammar - International Baccalaureate

Post by cocoloco »

Does anyone have a DS at an DGS or any other IB school (DD at TOGS)? I've heard the IB qualification is harder than A levels with a very heavy workload. Can anyone share their experience?
PanicMode

Re: Dartford Grammar - International Baccalaureate

Post by PanicMode »

We have had this exact dilemma with DD (TGS v TWGGS). A friend of mine's DD has just moved back from TGS to TWGGS for sixth form because she doesn't want to have to carry on with science and maths for her IB -she's much more arts orientated. The workload is very intense because (I believe) that there is a lot more project based work and essay writing - obviously the 4,000 (?) word dissertation forms a large part of the marks for the IB. Another friend said that for those who were getting high predicted scores for their IB, they were fine getting offers from Oxbridge and Russell Group universities, but for those who were rather more middle of the road, or who weren't going to get stellar marks - because they were finding either the arts or the science side of the IB difficult, they weren't getting very good offers - if at all. So, we ended up choosing safety (trad exams!) over the risk (TGS), even though I think it would have suited DD really well. It's also hard because TWGGS is right on our doorstep and so a bus journey seemed superfluous.

Having said all that - a friend of mine who is an accountant at one of the big London firms said that they are very keen on those who have done the IB over trad. exams because they are much more proactive, risky and interesting thinkers.....!
cocoloco

Post by cocoloco »

Thanks PanicMode. DGS's curriculum seems to be geared to IB so I wondered if that would make it more difficult to change later. Was TOGs the same? I have heard that it is easier to get A's than to get equivalent points.
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

TOGS does the IB all the way through too and as far as I know she didn't find it hard to change to TWGGS - it seems there is a fair amount of movement at sixth form (certainly in Tonbridge and TW anyway). Difficult decision - in the end DD chose proximity to home - a 3 minute walk rather than a 30 min bus ride each way!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now