percentage of boys commuting to Wilson's/WCGH

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Beck_mum

percentage of boys commuting to Wilson's/WCGH

Post by Beck_mum »

I was just wondering if anyone had a rough sense of the proportion of boys who travel for over 50 minutes to get to these schools? At the moment we have Wilson's, WCGS and SGS down on the CAF, (we've got St Olave's first as it's an easier journey), but I'm having a momentary panic about my son having a miserable time if most other boys live closer and therefore find it easier to meet up/hang out outside of school time.

Any insights into how this works would be much appreciated. If everyone is spread out and having to travel a reasonable distance then I imagine it's a lot easier than if you're one of a few in that position. I think his journey would be just under an hour door to door allowing for waiting for buses etc.

Thanks!
Moon unit

Re: percentage of boys commuting to Wilson's/WCGH

Post by Moon unit »

My son is at Wilson's. I reckon about a third are fairly local. The rest come from all over. He mentions Streatham, Balham, Clapham,Epsom and Beckenham. An hour wouldn't be unusual. Actually if you are in Beckenham the journey in the evening to school events would be about 30 min. He wouldn't be in a minority.
When they have school events starting at 7pm even the local boys whizz into Wallington for chips etc then back to school.
Good luck
newdud

Post by newdud »

Of the current Y7 cohort in Wilson, around 40% of the boys travel between 40-60 minutes to get to school.
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

thanks Moon Unit and new dud - we're in Beckenham. It was surprisingly fast to drive there for the test, but public transport (which he how he'd travel), looks like double the time to me.
Good to know he wouldn't be in a minority though. How do boys maintain friendships outside school? Do they meet up in London? Or do teenagers today just interact online??!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Hi Beck mum,
They interact online a bit.In the holidays I try to facilitate a few coming over at once with something like bowling/ swimming/ sleepover and friends tend to do the same. I don't feel quite ready for a London meet up ( or Croydon/Kingston or anywhere else really) but I'm a bit cautious. Prefer to have them under my roof really.Camp outs in our garden in the summer have been very successful. There is Saturday sport for those that do it so they catch up then too.
It's a happy school in my opinion. Boys that I have had here are great and teachers first rate. Very supportive and nurturing.
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

My DS travels 50/60 mins to WCGS. Lots of boys do this. My DS keeps in touch with his friends via Internet etc and they tend to arrange meets in the holidays and sleepovers. He met 8 friends yesterday at the cinema, all from school and coming from different places. WCGS put boys with the same postcode or from the same area in the same forms/houses which has proved great. My DS has new close friends who live near and they travel together every day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now