Grammar schools - the best education money can't buy

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crashtestdummy

Grammar schools - the best education money can't buy

Post by crashtestdummy »

The head of Bexley Grammar School coined the above expression at a recent open day attended by my daughter who is hopefully going there next September. I have a son who is already a pupil and after seeing how he has gone from being a fairly average pupil to a talented languages student who utterly loves his time at BGS, I am inclined to agree. His teachers send letters to parents when their son or daughter has done well in a test or performed well in a homework assignment and above all they make the pupil feel valued. It was worth every ounce of the sweat and tears and financial sacrifice to get them through the 11 plus. My daughter cannot wait to start at her new school and start nipping a her brother's heels. I hope grammars continue to thrive. They may be competitive environments but they sure make pupils realise you can achieve anything with hard work and dedication.
BucksBornNBred

Re: Grammar schools - the best education money can't buy

Post by BucksBornNBred »

crashtestdummy wrote:The head of Bexley Grammar School coined the above expression at a recent open day ... It was worth every ounce of the sweat and tears and financial sacrifice to get them through the 11 plus.
:lol: :roll:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Its a nice idea and yes, you don't have to spend money on expensive (or cheap!) coaching.........buuuuut, I do think, very sadly, that for those who don't live on the doorstep of a grammar (which we do), i.e. walking distance, then with bus fares/no free buses and also with the inevitable purchasing of practise materials etc to get through the exam, it does seem to be the preserve of the middle classes with at least 'some' money, however stretching (!!), to support their DCs through it.
pippi

Post by pippi »

crashtestdummy wrote:The head of Bexley Grammar School coined the above expression at a recent open day attended by my daughter who is hopefully going there next September. I have a son who is already a pupil and after seeing how he has gone from being a fairly average pupil to a talented languages student who utterly loves his time at BGS, I am inclined to agree. His teachers send letters to parents when their son or daughter has done well in a test or performed well in a homework assignment and above all they make the pupil feel valued. It was worth every ounce of the sweat and tears and financial sacrifice to get them through the 11 plus. My daughter cannot wait to start at her new school and start nipping a her brother's heels. I hope grammars continue to thrive. They may be competitive environments but they sure make pupils realise you can achieve anything with hard work and dedication.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

pippi wrote:
crashtestdummy wrote:The head of Bexley Grammar School coined the above expression at a recent open day attended by my daughter who is hopefully going there next September. I have a son who is already a pupil and after seeing how he has gone from being a fairly average pupil to a talented languages student who utterly loves his time at BGS, I am inclined to agree. His teachers send letters to parents when their son or daughter has done well in a test or performed well in a homework assignment and above all they make the pupil feel valued. It was worth every ounce of the sweat and tears and financial sacrifice to get them through the 11 plus. My daughter cannot wait to start at her new school and start nipping a her brother's heels. I hope grammars continue to thrive. They may be competitive environments but they sure make pupils realise you can achieve anything with hard work and dedication.
That explains perfectly my comment of: :lol: :roll: Not sure if OP saw the irony in his/her post.
crashtestdummy

Post by crashtestdummy »

Yes I did see the irony - hence the reason for the post. It is true - there is a disconnect between the Headmaster's comment and reality. That said, I feel the sacrifice, albeit financial or time spent coaching was worthwhile.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I suspected so, crashtestdummy, but did the head see the irony in his statement I wonder or notice the undoubted chuckles, nudges and knowing looks of his audience. :wink:

It doesn't stop with the prep either. Many of these schools rely on parental funding in quite a substantial way for many of the trips, clubs, equipment etc they provide.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

ALL schools rely on parental funding in quite a substantial way for many of the trips, clubs, equipment etc they provide...
crashtestdummy

Post by crashtestdummy »

I wonder how many parents have totted up the actual cost of extra tuition, extra books, materials etc. It can easily reach about £6k a year. If you calculate that over a three year period per child it is a big sacrifice - and demand on one's income. But it's a worthwhile sacrifice, surely.
Rags

Post by Rags »

crashtestdummy wrote:But it's a worthwhile sacrifice, surely.
My immediate reaction is 'Yes, of course' - but on reflection, does it actually make them any happier ...?

or would that money be better spent on, say, an enriching holiday?