Should I mention this at appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shiv

Info regarding Appeal Panel

Post by Shiv »

I have an Appendix from my previous appeal which states 'Panel members are reminded that weight should not be attached to whether or not a Headteacher made representations on a child's behalf.'

It also states that if a Head Teacher Appeal did take place, that it can be taken into account as evidence.

My child was not put forward for a Head Teachers Appeal. Does this mean that the Panel can not make any reference to that fact or ask me or the Head (if she is there), as to why he wasn't put forward for appeal?

and if they are not allowed to question that, what should i say if they do?
Etienne

Re: Info regarding Appeal Panel

Post by Etienne »

Shiv wrote:I have an Appendix from my previous appeal which states 'Panel members are reminded that weight should not be attached to whether or not a Headteacher made representations on a child's behalf.'

It also states that if a Head Teacher Appeal did take place, that it can be taken into account as evidence.

My child was not put forward for a Head Teachers Appeal. Does this mean that the Panel can not make any reference to that fact or ask me or the Head (if she is there), as to why he wasn't put forward for appeal?
That would be my understanding.
and if they are not allowed to question that, what should i say if they do?
You should say "I don't know" - and make a mental note that, if unsuccessful at appeal, you might have grounds for taking your case to the ombudsman or EFA!
Etienne
Shiv

Re: Info regarding Appeal Panel

Post by Shiv »

Thank you!
:-)
Shiv

Should I mention this at appeal?

Post by Shiv »

I'm aware that the age of younger children is taken into account and adjustments are made for to the scores of those children as a normal part of the 11+ process. I believe this is due to them starting out at school with a more limited vocabulary.

I will be appealing for my son who had poor communication in his early years at school from nursery right through to year 1. He attended Speech & Language Therapy during this time and also had to attend Reading Recovery sessions as a result. Few people could understand what he was saying, myself included at times.

That all said, this was all picked up from nursery onwards and he had excellent support which allowed him to be signed of by year 2 or 3. His reading is very good and no one would ever guess he'd had speech or communication problems in his earlier years.

Would it be reasonable to point out to a panel that this held him back during his early years (although academically this isn't shown as he did well academically). Equally though, those younger children with lesser vocabulary didn't necessarily get held back academically either but adjustments are still made for them.

Would you say it's worth mentioning?
Etienne

Re: Should I mention this at appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Would you say it's worth mentioning?
It depends .....

What were his levels at the end of Y2? Y3? Y5?
Etienne
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

Hello Etiene
Year 2 (end of KS1) results were:- M-2B, R-2B, W-2B (all other subjects at level 2)
Year 3 results were:- M-3C, R-3C, W-2A
Year 4 results were:- M-3B, R-3B, W-3C
Year 5 results were:- M-3A, R-4C, W-3A

The school reports state that average progression is 1 Level in a 2 year period (3 sub levels) and so a child achieving 1-2 sub levels a year is within the expected range.
I realise there's a shake up in education and schools are now using their own methods of monitoring but we have used levels and sub levels until now.

My son is showing average progression and I wonder if that's due to his early years communication barriers. I have noticed just in the last couple of years that my sons maturity has improved greatly and I sense is going to continue into his secondary years. I I feel his maturity was also affected by his inability to communicate clearly and has always played catch up with the improvement in his communication.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

It would appear that the levels are on the low side especially for end of Y5. A friend was told at an appeal panel last July that they are looking for high 5's across the board by the end of Y6. The levels have changed so I not sure how relevant or how the new system equates to a 5 etc. I'm sure someone will be along soon with more helpful information. Good luck . Dollyxxx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

On the basis of the Y2 levels, I would say the Speech & Language Therapy is worth a mention.

However, the problem is - as Dollydripmat is suggesting - one would then have hoped to see some accelerated progress. Instead the Y5 levels for maths and writing look way below potential grammar school standard.
Ideally you would want to be arguing "There was a problem - but just look at recent progress"!
Etienne
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I have just stumbled across this thread so agree that people will more knowledge might give you better advice than I will. I agree that the levels look a little low - I think they're looking for high 4s, even 5 at the end of Year 5.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

For an appeal/review it would be very helpful to have at least two 5's by the end if year 5 and the hope that one at least is a 5A/5B, this only my opinion based on my review last year . Dollyxxx