Reading or studying?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rosy Pippin

Reading or studying?

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Failing miserably to understand the questions in University Challenge, never mind answer them. Can anyone tell me why some students say that they are "studying xyz" while others are "reading xyz"?
It takes a village to raise a child
Tinkers

Re: Reading or studying?

Post by Tinkers »

I can't answer your question, but I've just impressed DD by knowing the answers to a set of bonus questions. (Jacobson organ, olfactory nerve and phermones)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We prejudged the physicists saying they wouldn't have a broad knowledge. How wrong were we?? I read something about the read/studying thing and UC. I'll see if I can find it.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Traditionally a student reads for a degree at Uni - trouble is not all the students realise that this is what they are supposed to say!
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Well done Tinkers. I did ok on the stamp collecting question (I'm just so rock and roll!)
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

I'm with you scary mum - three physics readers/students and a PHd in something statistical on first glance looked like they would be too similar but look at them go!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

hermanmunster wrote:Traditionally a student reads for a degree at Uni - trouble is not all the students realise that this is what they are supposed to say!
I think some of them do it deliberately to show that they aren't stuffy! I neither read nor studied, more "muddled my way through"
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Traditionally a student reads for a degree at Uni - trouble is not all the students realise that this is what they are supposed to say!
I think some of them do it deliberately to show that they aren't stuffy! I neither read nor studied, more "muddled my way through"
The ones that really annoy me are those that go, '...and I read Chemistry' or whatever, usually with an air of 'and aren't I clever, saying so in this witty, alternative way?'.

Monday night being Scouts (DD and DS2, yours truly taking and DH collecting) and Spanish class (YT) night, we are only just catching up with Only Connect and University Challenge, so I shall now flee this thread for an hour or so, in case anything more re questions is revealed :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

There was no Only Connect on tonight :-(
That's our family viewing each week!
marigold

Post by marigold »

Distraught they have replaced Only Connect with Nigella. Our favourite bit of the week is wondering how Victoria C-M remains standing, what with her incredible enbonpoint. We suspect she has a huge rope tethered around her waist.
I got stamp collecting, a couple of the pictures and son who is doing American history in his A level got the States ones, so something must be going in.
I then watched Hugh F W on waste and felt v smug as today I had made soup and banana bread with some disgusting bits from my fridge and fruit bowl.