Applications and extra curricular activities

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mraarongardner

Applications and extra curricular activities

Post by mraarongardner »

Hi

Could people let me know what extra curricular activities your son / daughter does..... I. E football, hockey, drama etc?

And do they make a difference on exam / interview day ?

Thanks

Aaron
hermanmunster

Re: Applications and extra curricular activities

Post by hermanmunster »

Is this for an indepedent or state school application? if state school then they don't interview and you don't need to supply such info. may be different for indies
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to post this in the indy schools sector. As said no state school will know.

Unless you are County standard it will not help to get you a place at private school. DG
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

For indies applications, because of the interviews and to give my son something to talk about apart Minecraft I made him joined a football team and a cricket team in year 5 and 6. It did work. And he really enjoyed it as well, now he plays for his school and they take care of all the travelling to matches away!
J50

Post by J50 »

Yes I think it does help as they are looking at the overall person as well as their academic ability.

If you are looking at any kind of scholarship from these activities then yes County level is necessary - though I do know that schools will make their own mind up as they don't trust the County coaches view in (for example) cricket. DS attended scholarship assessments in cricket and other sports and you would be amazed at the low standard of some of the boys, whose parents are clearly deluded about their sons' ability!

And it needs to be sport(s) that are relevant to the school... I remember the Admin chap at Reeds telling me some people had put football on their sports scholarship application and he had to phone them to let them know that they didn't actually play the sport... :roll:
CampNou

Post by CampNou »

In Hertfordshire no County level Cricket is plyed until they reach age 12/13. First year of County Cricket is at under 13. Until that they do Charley Cricket which is paid and any junior player can join in regardless of the ability. Most juniors are only playing Club Cricket until they reach under 13. My son played Club Cricket last season & they are the Herts County Champions but no Charley Cricket is played.
J50

Post by J50 »

CampNou wrote:In Hertfordshire no County level Cricket is plyed until they reach age 12/13. First year of County Cricket is at under 13. Until that they do Charley Cricket which is paid and any junior player can join in regardless of the ability. Most juniors are only playing Club Cricket until they reach under 13. My son played Club Cricket last season & they are the Herts County Champions but no Charley Cricket is played.
The Charley cricket looks interesting, I can see some positives and negatives in that.

We played Herts U11s a year or so ago so I'm not sure where you are getting that from? Though it was a B team we put out and still won. On the Herts website it says...
The Hertfordshire U11 and U12 County Squads will be made up of players selected from the Charley Cricket Programme and will also have a summer programme of 11-a-side cricket against other Counties as well as the opportunity to attend the U11 or U12 Summer Tours.
CampNou

Post by CampNou »

Check this link...

http://www.hertscricket.org/page/perfor ... 1516-9904/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proper County level teams starting from under 13.
J50

Post by J50 »

CampNou wrote:Check this link...

http://www.hertscricket.org/page/perfor ... 1516-9904/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proper County level teams starting from under 13.

Yeah so winter training CAG squads from U13 and U11/12 CAG squads coming out of the winter courses and early summer matches etc. Sounds fair.

I like the link to Charley cricket, even though the name sounds a bit gay, but mainly cos it's the name of an ex-footballer's son I know! I don't see how it works unless you stream players to some degree, as without any trials you will get all sorts of abilities. Agree with the view that the players need to get used to pace early on, that's why I've had DS facing the bowling machine up to 80mph from 9/10 years old. I like the idea of bowling on a short pitch of 16/17 yards, but question how possible this would be against some bowlers I know that have been measured at c.60mph at age 9/10. And 9 a side makes sense also.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"...even though the name sounds a bit gay..."

What a highly inappropriate comment to make... :shock: :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now