Any results from Slough / Langley Appeals?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
skh

Any results from Slough / Langley Appeals?

Post by skh »

Hi,

We attended appeals for Slough and Langley last week. A little confused about when we will get results. The letters state 'within 7 days' but the reps at the appeal were saying by the end of March(!)!

Just wondering if anyone out there already has results?

Regards,

Sanjay
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear skh

It depends how the appeals were organised. If oversubscription was one of the issues being considered, then the decision letter would normally be within 7 days of the last appeal, not within 7 days of yours.

Hope this might help.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I meant to add that I don't claim to know exactly what they're doing in Slough/Langley! The last time I looked at their arrangements - a couple of years ago - the process wasn't overly transparent!
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

Slough appeals are definately not transparent and now confused by the fact that this is the first time they are being held before allocation day.
I can't see how they can give a judgment before allocation day if they keep to the same 'non qualification' and 'place' appeal at the same time.
:roll:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
wraysburymum

Slough Appeal

Post by wraysburymum »

We had our Slough appeal on Friday- the original letter from the appeal board stated that appeals would run from 4th to 15th Feb. However, on the day we were told that appeals would still be running after half term. A letter also stated that the Clerk would write to us no later than 31st March with the decision. The plan was to get them all cleared by end February if possible. So, depending on the final number of appeals (approx 165) and the time they are heard, it could be possible to hear before 3rd March!
I am still shell-shocked by the experience: if you thought Bucks was hard... this was like standing in front of a firing squad.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

If you receive the result before the 3rd March, it will be for non-qualification only I would assume, only informing you on whether your child is now considered as having qualified for a place or not.
If you receive the result after the 3rd march, it will probably be for both qualification and offer of a place.

I am sorry to hear that you found the appeal panel for Slough Grammar a bit.. unfriendly, Wraysburymum. I was wondering whether it was mainly the approach or whether the types of questions were different from your Bucks appeal.
chad

Post by chad »

HI wraysburymum.....
Any insight into the Slough appeals system when you see fit would be appreciated....I have heard that it is very .......formal :wink:
I hope it wasn't too much of an ordeal.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
wraysburymum

Slough Grammar Appeal

Post by wraysburymum »

Hi everyone, I thought I'd give a rough outline, not that I think it will help much! Yes, the appeals were very different. Bucks was very much more relaxed (didn't think so at the time!). Then we were given no time restriction on presenting our case and at the end (40 minutes) I felt that we'd said everything and that we had presented a pretty rounded and substantial statement of our daughter's abilities and potential.
Not so with Slough.
Having not had anything to go by (no other posts on forum), we went in for our allotted 15 minutes. I got through a fraction of my patter before being hit with quick-fire questions. "Why YOU out of 165 others?", "Why should your child be at grammar school?", "Why didn't she perform on this section of the test?". It was a much more aggressive procedure. So I tried to defend her/myself until we were ushered out.
The school books followed quickly after and it was all over.
I was shell-shocked. There was so much I wanted to say, and no chance to say it. What result they came to will be a surprise, no hints either way. I have no idea if there even are any places on offer, a successful appeal evidently is a place at the school.
Two others I know have had similar experiences, not thinking the outcome would be favourable. So we will have to wait. I will post any news as/if it arrives.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There was so much I wanted to say, and no chance to say it.
There has to be a question mark over whether this was a fair hearing.

Interesting to see what the ombudsman thinks, if anyone decides to take a complaint to him.
Etienne
wraysburymum

Slough Appeal

Post by wraysburymum »

Hi Etienne

I suppose it depends on what information they needed from us as opposed to what was evident from our original appeal form and associated paperwork. They said that they'd seen everything we'd sent (including SATs, letter from school, Year 5 report etc) and obviously had the three 11+ tests. We didn't really have any mitigating circumstances. I know from your previous posts that you advise against distracting from the evidence with non-academic information. I suppose that I had too much time in the Bucks appeal and used it to build a picture of a real girl rather than a non-qualifying number on a page, which made me feel better! This time I didn't get that chance, but I know they had the "numbers" if that's the way they do it. I can't see that it could be done any other way from the time available.
I don't feel that anything important was overlooked but, unlike Bucks, there wasn't time to go over those points again. Does that make sense?

PS: I found a link about Slough 11+ I can forward if you are interested? Don't know how to PM but will reply if you PM me first!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now