A maths genius going places

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

A maths genius going places

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... id-it.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
PurpleDuck

Re: A maths genius going places

Post by PurpleDuck »

Wow, that's just incredible. Thanks for posting the link! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Absolutely incredible, a name to look out for in the future.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Hold on. How bright can he really be if Oxbridge isn't topping his list?

:oops: :twisted: :lol:
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hats off to his mother for insisting he stays in school, amongst his peer group enabling him to live a 'normal' life as far as possible.

I did find the end of the article rather interesting as the other boy despite his input was obviously not getting equivalent plaudits.

Also shows how useful the internet can be in bringing these unique types of people together.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The article was done for the mail in Australia so you have to allow an element of bias on behalf of the publisher and towards its intended audience.Objectively each are equally brilliant.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It wasn't so much the article, I thought that was well written and recognised both boys contribution, it was more the University places etc. He said it himself, he is lesss of an all rounder, couldn't stop myself from thinking that if he was here he probably would have struggled to pass the 11+ with it's vocab bias :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes. Requiring
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Tolstoy wrote:It wasn't so much the article, I thought that was well written and recognised both boys contribution, it was more the University places etc. He said it himself, he is lesss of an all rounder, couldn't stop myself from thinking that if he was here he probably would have struggled to pass the 11+ with it's vocab bias :wink:
He would have aced the bucks 11+
He was simply expressing false modesty, the reporter said he was an all rounder who also spoke six languages (although we don't know how well) he is also quoted using extensive vocabulary and apparently spoke from two months old,, although that was a part of the article I found rather dubious.
Assuming he would have achieved full marks in maths and nvr he could have got below 50% in his vocab/vr and still passed.
Critically though he says he never gets stressed in tests and doesn't seem to understand the concept of stress under pressure, so that's half the battle won with the eleven plus. I wish he would share his ability to stay so cool headed with my eldest, who normally tests with a brain seemingly full of marshmallows!