Veterinary science with IB qualification

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Veterinary science with IB qualification

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

My DS is starting to look at 6th forms and a local one does the IB. I actually think because he is very much an all rounder he would suit the course more than tying himself into just 3 A'levels.

He would like to be a VET if he gets high enough GCSE grades so I was wondering if anyone knows someone who got onto the course via the IB route and did they find it harder or easier to get offers?

Tolstoy.
mad?

Re: Veterinary science with IB qualification

Post by mad? »

Hi Tolstoy

Firstly I am a big fan of the IB, but...talk to some vet schools admissions people. I have a couple of friends whose children did the IB and wanted to pursue science/engineering degrees (not vet sci I'm afraid). They found it difficult, offers where they got them, were very high in UCAS equivalence terms with the exception of Scotland, where the universities are used to students arriving with greater breadth of study and dare I say it, a perception of less depth or specialsim and the first year is often more general.

Good luck.
mad?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Interestingly Mad? you have confirmed what was happening to students at the International School my boys attended with Engineering and hence my concern. I did a random google and Liverpool are asking for 36 points on paper which is doable. I know he will need a higher level in Chemistry and biology but I also know he would like to carry on with Geography, English and Maths one or two of which he will have to drop :( plus he might be able to take his Art up again and he has a slight advantage with the Language aspect.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

My DD is also looking to be a vet and because of so few schools all over the place, we have started looking at unis as well as 6th form. Her school does the IB and at the 6th form evenings they had someone from Kings saying how much they liked it. When we visited Glasgow we ended up talking to the head of admissions (although he didn't admit it until the end) and after going through A level requirements, when he found out that there was a possibility of her doing the IB, he said 'Ooh we like the IB'. He could have said something completely different and non-committal but his choice of words showed much enthusiasm for it.

My DD is also a good all-rounder but IB seems to offer far more in that respect, irrespective of the more subjects so her first choice is to stay put.

Good luck.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My SIL is in admissions in Dublin and they like the IB too.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks franticmum and silverysea. Interesting to know some uni's are being more open minded.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Irish A level equivalent is more broad like the Scottish system, I think it's actually more of a stretch for their Uni's to figure out how to fairly compare with the applicants from England and Wales, who don't have their actual results for months after the rest of the world. A plus about IB is they get the results sooner apparently.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Tolstoy - When my son looked at the IB he couldn't do 2 sciences and music, as if you double up on one of the 'sections' you have to drop the creative section, which I think is totally wrong. You may find your DS can't do art alongside 2 sciences. In the end my DS went with A-levels, where he could do 2 sciences and music (alongside maths) and actually ended up dropping one of the sciences after AS as he enjoyed the music so much. If he could have done the IB without the foreign language, but with music, I think he would have gone for it as he misses English and History.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think he'd be okay about not doing art. He recognises he's good at it ( as I said a true all rounder ) but doesn't feel strongly about continuing. He definitely wants to continue with English and maths though and deep down would like to continue with Geography. It means he'd be doing 4 A'levels, e en without the Geog, which is not a good idea if you need to be getting straight As. I did find out yesterday that Liverpool will count Geography as a science as long as he does Chemistry to AS level but still doesn't resolve his problem as he'd have to have another Science in there as well.

Oh well if he doesn't get the required GCSE grades then he could ditch the sciences and do exactly what he wants.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I believe the IB results come out in July, even before the school breaks up for the summer. One other interesting thing I found at a second sixth form evening at DD's school was that UCAS are now beginning to open up clearing to IB students in July for the results, whereas previously IB students had to sit it out and wait until the A-level students got their results. This shows that unis are wanting IB students.