Comprehension technique

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
enema

Comprehension technique

Post by enema »

We are looking at a MGS comprehension paper, and a question asks the reader to 'find 2 examples of x' and explain them 'in your own words.' This is a technique query - would you quote each example followed by an explanation in own words, or just write the explanations without actually quoting the text?
Daogroupie

Re: Comprehension technique

Post by Daogroupie »

The former. If you don't include the quote how is the marker supposed to know which quote you are explaining in your own words? DG
enema

Post by enema »

Thanks DG. Having tried to read up on technique, advice seems to be 'quote' type questions and 'in your own word' questions require different answer techniques, but a few papers seem to blur the boundaries sometimes and ask for both types within the one question. I suppose it is logical if the question asks for both, give both as the answer.
S999

Post by S999 »

We are doing these papers as well and my daughter is really struggling with them. What is the sort of mark she should be aiming for to pass?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What schools are you applying for? I have been using these papers for years and eagerly look forward to the new one each year. So far the John Steinbeck The Red Pony is easily my favourite. But I do hate the fact they change what actually happens in classic texts. Mr Murdstone is David's stepfather not his tutor and Ebenzeer points the blunderbuss out of the window not through the door. DG
enema

Post by enema »

The Red Pony is easily my favourite
We loved this passage when doing this paper recently. The actual comprehension doesn't name the source, had to google to identify it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They don't name the book and they change it so that key events and characters are wrong. DG
PDDad

Post by PDDad »

Our DD is preparing for the DAO comprehension and writing with a tutor who advised us that she ought to put down line references when answering questions. Is this really what is required in the exams? My wife is taking it literal that it is, but I think it is more to get into a good habit. Surely when time is of the essence in an exam, it is the answer that matters! Are we overthinking it?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are they allowed to use (and alter) 'The Red Pony' unattributed? Isn't it still copyright?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now