Out of catchment girls grammar schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mpsv

Out of catchment girls grammar schools

Post by mpsv »

Hello,

Can you all share the girls grammar schools which offer out of catchment seat...I am considering locations where I could travel to London for work ...
The schools that I am aware of Henrietta barnet ( no catchment )
Tonbridge grammar offer 35 seats
ToadMum

Re: Out of catchment girls grammar schools

Post by ToadMum »

mpsv wrote:Hello,

Can you all share the girls grammar schools which offer out of catchment seat...I am considering locations where I could travel to London for work ...
Colchester. Any of the Gloucestershire grammar schools. Any of the Birmingham grammar schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

mpsv wrote:Hello,

Newstead Woods in SE London have a nine mile radius, Wilmington girls in Kent have 12 places for girls who score top in maths, Dartford Girls Grammar have some places for girls by score and outside the defined parishes. Bexley have a 'top 180' who qualify regardless of distance. All commutable to London and/or in outer London boroughs.
emmajane1

Post by emmajane1 »

Rochester Grammar - Rochester is 35 mins to St Pancras & 45 ish to Victoria
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know if this thread is of any help? http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =5&t=42555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
kitkat123

Post by kitkat123 »

Hello
I am quite new to this forum. My DD is in year 5 now. Like many mums, I think she is quite an abled child and wish to get her have a go in trying for grammar school entrances. We live in Stevenage- Hertfordshire and we are not in any catchment for any grammar schools and haven't got many reasonably good state schools either.

Looking for girls grammar schools which offer out of catchment seat for year 2017 intake. I am considering locations where we could travel to London for work. We are happy to relocate after the results (even with in 2 weeks). But quite worried to take the risk of relocating before the test results in case, she doesn't get in to the school in that particular area.
Any information and advice given I very much appreciated.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

kitkat123 wrote:Hello
I am quite new to this forum. My DD is in year 5 now. Like many mums, I think she is quite an abled child and wish to get her have a go in trying for grammar school entrances. We live in Stevenage- Hertfordshire and we are not in any catchment for any grammar schools and haven't got many reasonably good state schools either.

Looking for girls grammar schools which offer out of catchment seat for year 2017 intake. I am considering locations where we could travel to London for work. We are happy to relocate after the results (even with in 2 weeks). But quite worried to take the risk of relocating before the test results in case, she doesn't get in to the school in that particular area.
Any information and advice given I very much appreciated.
That is a lot of pressure on a child and a lot of potential change all at the same time. Saying that a friend who sat Bexley, Bromley and Kent got a good score in Kent but not enough to get into any of the superselectives so they upped sticks and moved to be close to one of the Kent Grammars by their deadline of early December. They had to prove they had cut ties with their old home and have a council tax bill in the new home so then ended up selling their old house and renting a new house. It must cost a small fortune in stamp duty fees and renting etc. I don't know if to get the quick sale they ended up letting it go below market or not. It was all very stressful. You can sit for the Kent test if outside of the county, but for Newstead you have to be resident within the nine mile radius when you register for the test.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Please also ask yourself very carefully what you think a grammar school will offer which another school won't. In a non-selective area there are still bright children and they still go to school and achieve good results. Grammar schools follow the same curricula as other schools and moving a child to attend a grammar - any grammar - may not prove to be the holy grail you are seeking.

I agree with Fiona that it's a lot of pressure on a child too - to have the potential move of a whole family at short notice hinging on her performance in a test.
kitkat123

Post by kitkat123 »

Thank you PettswoodFiona for your advice.
Newstead is definitely not an option for us then. But would add Kent schools to my list along with Henrietta Barnet.
Thank you Amber for your feedback. I totally agree with your point which is why I have not looked at grammar school option till recently. But being to few non selective schools in my area recently made me realise the difference a school can have on a child. I would like my DD to give it a good try with ateast a couple of GS. Atleast, that way she can make her own choice. I don't want to repent for not attempting to try.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now