13+ for private schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
target2016

13+ for private schools

Post by target2016 »

Hi,

Apologies for a basic question - is the 13+ only for pupils already at Private schools or can someone from a state school appear at these as an entry into the private sector?

Thanks
mad?

Re: 13+ for private schools

Post by mad? »

The 13+ is not 'only' for privately educated kids but...
Some schools require DC to sit a pre test... a couple of years before
Some schools require DC to be registered ridiculously early
Some schools adapt their 13+ test so as not to disadvantage state educated children who may not have studied the curriculum that pre schools do, but many don't, and IMO tutoring to keep up with it on top of all the secondary work DC will get anyway is a big ask.
Some schools will take at 13+ and at other times on an ad hoc basis, from anywhere, depending on the child.
You will need to look at the specific entry requirements of each school you are considering. Good luck.
mad?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

This is second hand and from what a colleague at work has been telling me.All three of her children went to primary school.The eldest was at KE five ways and took an exam for Eton at 11 and at 13.He is there on a scholarship and possibly also on a bursary.Similarly her daughter is at KEHS maybe on a bursary.Her youngest will be going to Camp hill boys next September based on his score.He will be taking the pre test for Eton next year as that is where he wants to go.His mum is in a real quandry over KES as it is in the private sector and would prefer him to go there should he pass the entrance exam.Her problem is that should he go there then the entrance exam for Eton is harder requiring more subjects to be passed.I don't know the details of the additional exams.I think each school has to be looked at and researched specifically.
The information on the schools is from the Birmingham area.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

OP, there is already a big thread on this subject. Search on Kingstonmum. DG
target2016

Post by target2016 »

hmm... I searched the site but nothing coming up for "Kingstonmum"! (obviously apart from this thread)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is in the Surrey region and Kingston mum is two different words.