NFER Maths and English tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Road Runner

NFER Maths and English tests

Post by Road Runner »

Hello there

Would anyone like to comment on the following.

My dd has just completed NFER Maths and English tests at school(she's year5). Both papers were general, mixed maths, and english comp, spelling, literacy with no VR. By all accounts the school uses the results as indicators as to whether a child would pass the 11+. Based on our dd scoring above the class's average on both we have been told she is "in the zone for passing" (obviously only an indicator) however as she scored less then 121 and did no VR at all how can this be an indicator?? Her class had a maths average score of 104 and an English 111.

Any ideas anyone?

Mel
chad

Post by chad »

From what I have gleaned from the forum it depends on how it is standardised..... NFER papers are usually to 100.... not 110 ( Bucks 11+ standardises to 110 I believe) therefore the bucks pass mark of 121 equates to a Berks passmark of 111 (on a really rough estimation)

If the school was standardising to 100 then you should not be expecting scores of over 121.

These tests are 'indicators' of ability......and should/ could translate into the same ability in 11+

Please feel free to contradict me if anyone is more knowledgeable about NFER papers :)
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Chad

Yes I agree that this test surely should be used as an indicator as to the childs general ablity for Maths and English given thats what the test is in and yes those skills can be transferrable. I did put this to her class teacher but she didn't really respond accept to say they do these tests every year as they are Progress tests and in year 5 they do give them a good indicator as to who will pass. I guess I haveto go with them knowing best.

Fortunately I have been through the Bucks 11+ process before with my son so I know that even if my child scored in to the 120's in these test it would not mean she would automatically pass the actual test because the test is unique. However there are lots fo parents who could become very mislead by this.

Also I think my worry is that my dd's class was told that these tests would be very important if they had to appeal.

Mel
chad

Post by chad »

I think telling the class that the tests would be very important in an appeal was a bit off the mark... as they would be taken into consideration but along with other academic evidence. (some schools do not do NFER tests).
I also think that an implication of achievement at 11+ based on the tests, without the caveat of 'but it will be a different test format' may mislead first time 11+ parents.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Very misleading in my view.

I don't believe an appeal panel will attach any weight to NFER English and Maths scores - except in so far as they support the school's KS2 predictions.
By all accounts the school uses the results as indicators as to whether a child would pass the 11+.
I hope they take other factors into account as well. The chances of a reliable OoS based solely on NFER English and Maths would be slim!
Etienne
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello Etienne

Thanks for that. It does give me some reassurance. My dd won't take the test until October and I don't even want to think about appealing but I guess they 'sewed a seed'.

I moved my dd to this school last September because it is nearer to our home. I guess a part of me hopes that my dd gets the same encouragement my son got at the previous school which I haveto say was very supportive of the children who took the test. My dd has always had wonderful and positive reports not just on her ability but her whole approach to school which is why I am now tutoring her and feel she would do well in a GS.

Etienne can I ask would any appeal panel consider reports, achievements and SATS levels etc form her previous school.

Mel
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, Mel

Yes. Could be useful if you feel the new school has not 'delivered' as much as you hoped for.
Etienne