internal review: do GS consult current school before decisio

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rainysunshine001

internal review: do GS consult current school before decisio

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

I,ve read the forum a few times, over number of weeks. I'd be so grateful if anyone could answer this confusion:-
Do (all) GSs write to or consult child's current primary school regarding his/her ability prior to deciding on the result (that our child's score was 3 marks less than quakifying score hence an internal review took place but we have decided not to upgrade) {how unfortunate (just thinking)} thanks all
Guest55

Re: internal review: do GS consult current school before dec

Post by Guest55 »

Hi :)

Which local authority are you in? The systems do vary a bit.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think it might be helpful if you said which area you are in as it will be key and also explained what you mean by internal review and upgrade as these are terms that sound unfamiliar. I'm sure then someone will be able to help but perhaps reading the FAQs about appeals would be a good place to start?
mad?
Rainysunshine001

It's for Sale GS in trafford area. The internal review took place to see which students within 13 marks of the passmark should be upgraded to a pass. DC was 3 marks away from the passmark, but the internal review panel decided not to upgrade. (sighs!)
I'm also thinking how do we know if someone further away from passmark than us HASN'T been upgraded?
yes, I,ve read the q&a section & other posts on this c helpful appeal forum.
Rainysunshine001

Anyone? please!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure what you are asking. Your question was whether all grammar schools do this (I think). The answer is "no". You might want to get your thread moved to the appropriate region where people may be able to help.
scary mum
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Rainy - its set out in the admissions policy on the website. It says the automatic review will consider - the admissions officer's report (about the process used on the day), the invigilator's report (presumably to confirm whether or not there were any distractions / disturbances which may have affected children in a particular room), the test score and the Special Circumstances form if one was submitted. It says "no other representation will be relevant at this stage" so I would say no - they don't contact the school at this stage.

I think you'd need to appeal so you can present evidence of academic ability / suitability, with support from the school, although I've heard (only on the grapevine) that unless there are mitigating circumstances, its very tough to win an appeal in Trafford.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now