Limited choice but advice needed for scholarship?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum2Nicole

Limited choice but advice needed for scholarship?

Post by Mum2Nicole »

We have only 2 independent high schools within travelling distance. My dd is in year 6 and I would love her to attend one. I believe she is exceptionally bright academically and her primary school agrees, she also participates in a good range of extra activities.
I applied last year for a Bursary at one of them and was offered 20% discount which was far beyond our means.
I am wondering if I put her through the 11+ exam just how bright you need to be to be offered a 100% scholarship?? Any helpful advice with the whole process would be appreciated.
Kingfisher

Re: Limited choice but advice needed for scholarship?

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello.
I think you are going to have to think very carefully about this. So few schools give 100% scholarship. 100% bursary is known, but you say you are only likely to qualify for 20% ... (assuming your finances are similar next year).

I always say one can NEVER assume your DC will come top in the entrance test and thus qualify for the maximum scholarship. At my DD's school, only 1 student was awarded the 50% scholarship- there were others of 25% and10%, but on fees of £18,000, that is still a great deal of money left to find.

The problem is- you don't know the standard of the other students and therefore cannot predict where your DC will come. In my DD's year there were Year 7 students writing at A level standard, there is one girl who is so advanced that she has skipped a year and is still almost top of the year - and this is at a super selective indie.

Try, by all means, but your DC will need to be scoring virtually full marks - in schools around here anyway. You need to have a range of options available. I don't know where you are in the country- is there any chance of travelling? Do you have good transport links?

Try, but don't assume would be my advice.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

good advice Kingfisher, scholarships of any significant size are few and far between . the occasional 100% fee remission is often part scholarship and part means tested busary. Some schools are putting most of the money they have into bursaries rather than scholarships, even then the part left to be paid by the parents is often larger than one would hope it might have been, however the only people who can really tell you what is available are the schools.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

As others have said, 100% scholarships are incredibly rare, and in fact not permitted across the schools which are members of the Headmasters Conference who limit their maximum scholarships to 50%. So you need to think about whether you would be eligible for a means tested bursary if these are offered by the school, though they will expect both parents to be working if possible.

You may get more specific advice if you were to name the schools. It is also worth checking the Independent Schools Handbook at your local reference library, as in some cases this gives more information on what level of awards are given.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The schools in question are part of the Loughborough Endowed Schools http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=44677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Certainly the Head of the Boys' Grammar is a member of the Headmasters conference.
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Mum2Nicole wrote:My dd is in year 6 ..... if I put her through the 11+ exam .....
In many if not most cases, Y6 DC have already taken this year's 11+ and by and large received their results. Is your local situation different in this respect?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

equilibro wrote:
Mum2Nicole wrote:My dd is in year 6 ..... if I put her through the 11+ exam .....
In many if not most cases, Y6 DC have already taken this year's 11+ and by and large received their results. Is your local situation different in this respect?

There is no state 11 plus in that area so many people refer to the indie entrance exams as the 11 plus - it is only thing that a lot of people take. reckon the exams are usually Jan / Feb so still time to register
Mum2Nicole

Post by Mum2Nicole »

Thanks for all the advice. Yes tests are taken in the new year so not too late yet. Still deciding if the £100 test entrance fee is worth paying if scholarships are near impossible to come by. On the flipside I have staff encouraging me from her primary school, as they believe she is academically gifted and would ace the test. It almost feels inappropriate to approach the school to ask for advice on a 'free' place!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Mum2Nicole wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Yes tests are taken in the new year so not too late yet. Still deciding if the £100 test entrance fee is worth paying if scholarships are near impossible to come by. On the flipside I have staff encouraging me from her primary school, as they believe she is academically gifted and would ace the test. It almost feels inappropriate to approach the school to ask for advice on a 'free' place!
Definitely approach the school and ask what the maximum award is and whether it can be combined with some kind of bursarial support. IF the maximum is 10% then you will save your £100! Good luck.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now