KE independent school info request

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shabbo_uk

KE independent school info request

Post by Shabbo_uk »

Hi all.
After much deliberation and a last minute dash I got DS registered for the exam as he was keen to give it a go. I have read that it is a much different type of exam compared with the grammar school one.
My concern is that we cannot afford to pay the fees and we are not entitled to means tested allowance. So the only thing we can rely on is a full funded scholarship.
How hard is it to get a full funded scholarship? Anyone know how many are available each year?

Any help or advice would be good. I have already printed off some Manchester grammar school past papers to give him some practice over Christmas holidays.

Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: KE independent school info request

Post by kenyancowgirl »

100% scholarships are incredibly rare, and in fact are not permitted across the schools which are members of the Headmasters Conference who limit their maximum scholarships to 50%. In practice, few schools offer that many 50% scholarships, preferring to offer more smaller ones - some offer scholarships with no financial reduction, just the kudos of being called a "scholar"!

If you are entitled to apply for a bursary, these can be 100%, as they are means tested - they can also be less, on a sliding scale related to income. It is possible to have a scholarship AND a bursary, so, in theory, this could amount to 100% fee remission. (Remember scholarships do not cover additional costs at the school like trips, uniform etc - bursaries might...)
Shabbo_uk

Post by Shabbo_uk »

Yes you are correct. It's a maximum 50% scholarship. Couldn't find that info when I applied earlier last week. I suppose the rush and panic to get the papers in on time may have led to me not looking into it properly.
Thanks for the info.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The only exception being the music scholarships which are 100% but you have to be an outstanding musical talent to get one of those
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now