Work experience

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
allu

Work experience

Post by allu »

Hi,

Is work experience done in the summer holidays after year 10 or after year 11? Is it normally arramged by the school? Does it have to be related to the career the student is interested in?

Thanks,
allu
hermanmunster

Re: Work experience

Post by hermanmunster »

depends on the school. DS had to his at the end of year 10 (awkward as still quite young), lots of involvement from school, booklets, checklists etc etc

DD's school decided to move it from year 10 to year 11 then it was "organise it yourself", then it was "do it in the holidays" - suffice to say it didn't ever hapen
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My DS's school organised it after GCSEs which worked quite well as they were all [or nearly all]16 which allowed more options.

DS actually found his own placement but other were placed by the school; he said it was useful.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Year 11 here, but I think that the school is unusual in helping them to find work (well, finding it for them, unless they arrange it themselves).
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

When DS1 did it, all arrangements had to be made through his school, even if the placement had been found privately. I think this is actually quite a good idea. DS1 spent a fortnight in a local primary school (which may be what decided him no longer to want to become a teacher :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:When DS1 did it, all arrangements had to be made through his school, even if the placement had been found privately. I think this is actually quite a good idea. DS1 spent a fortnight in a local primary school (which may be what decided him no longer to want to become a teacher :shock: ).
In which case it was a very useful work experience!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, you are right Toadmum, his placement had to be approved through school to check the company had the right insurance in place and that they had arranged a suitable programme. All the students were visited by teachers during the week.
doodles

Post by doodles »

End of year 11 and the school were very helpful.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:Yes, you are right Toadmum, his placement had to be approved through school to check the company had the right insurance in place and that they had arranged a suitable programme. All the students were visited by teachers during the week.

Ditto here. I should have said that having it during year 11 wasn't great as DS wasn't 16 so it restricted what he could do.
scary mum
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I take lots of students for work experience all year round, but we insist on them being at least 16 and post gcse exams, the same rule applies to our volunteers. I think this is becoming increasingly common, especially for jobs that require degree level entry. So doing work experience before this seriously limits a students options.