Live Showing of Jane Eyre from the National Theatre

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Live Showing of Jane Eyre from the National Theatre

Post by Daogroupie »

Did anyone else experience a spellbinding three hours and twenty minutes of Jane Eyre from the National Theatre last night?

Our local cinema was sold out. I was surprised that my dd was the only person there under 40 as this is a book that A level English students should get to grips with. Perhaps they left it too late to get tickets.

I know the text very very well and I teach it. So I was really looking forward to what they would make of it. I was absolutely enthralled by the production. Jane, Rochester and Mrs Reed were all spot on. Miss Templeton was left out whichI felt was a mistake as her belief in Jane and rejection of Mr Brocklehurst's public pronouncement of her as a liar is I think a key turning point in Jane's life. The genetic relationship between the Rivers and Jane was also not touched on. Otherwise it was fantastic.

If you get a chance to see it don't hesitate. If I get another chance I will go again. DG
JaneEyre

Re: Live Showing of Jane Eyre from the National Theatre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Daogroupie :D
Thanks for sharing your impressions on the play. May I ask if you teach in a mixed school or a single sex one? I am asking this because I am wondering if boys manage to get into this novel as well as the girls…
I find this masterpiece so powerful!!... :D :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think that it is easier for girls but both sexes should be able to appreciate the themes of being treated unfairly and wanting your name to be cleared. I teach both and one of my male students got 100% in the DAO comprehension paper on Jane Eyre last year so he certainly did understand it!

Apparently a lot of boys did find this paper very hard to understand and I do see why. The passage was when Jane finally tells Mrs Reed what she thinks of her after the meeting with Mr Brockleshurt. Those who knew the book and understood the background were at a huge advantage when answering the questions on this text.

Perhaps girls find it easier to imagine themselves in this situation and feel the pity and terror more that Aristotle talks about when reading or watching. DG
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

:D
piggys

Post by piggys »

I haven't seen this but I agree with you Dao, Jane Eyre is a book everyone ought to read. I'm currently trying to get my 14 year old to read it although her previously excellent reading habits have dwindled a bit.... :(

I think it's quite a radical book for its time - I really like the way Jane stands up for herself and ditches Rochester when she finds out about Bertha. I also like the way the book makes clear that a woman with a bit of common sense, education and principles does not need a man to survive. She is desperate to work and earn her own money too - this resonates with me personally and I drum it into my two dds that they must always strive for financial independence and work for what they want. That's what Jane does - she's a role model and a half!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

piggys wrote: I really like the way Jane stands up for herself and ditches Rochester when she finds out about Bertha. I also like the way the book makes clear that a woman with a bit of common sense, education and principles does not need a man to survive. She is desperate to work and earn her own money too - I drum it into my two dds that they must always strive for financial independence and work for what they want. That's what Jane does - she's a role model and a half!
+1
piggys wrote: I'm currently trying to get my 14 year old to read it although her previously excellent reading habits have dwindled a bit.... :(
I am under the impression that many youngsters see their reading habits dwindling when they are under much academic pressures :( . If you feel her having difficulties getting into the book, an idea could be to let her watch bits of film just to cut it at a point full of suspense... :shock: and the trick will be done for her to plunge her nose intot the book (if this is done during holidays and she has the time to read).

My first contact with Jane Eyre has been through a serial of the film... and it was hard :cry: to wait one whole :shock: week to see the next episode (At that time, I was in an African country with the British council and its library being far from home!). That was this adaptation that I find absolutely superb! :D :D For me, none of the other films that I have seen have supeseded it (but I think the A level York notes recommend another one):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Eyre-Repac ... =jane+eyre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie wrote: DAO comprehension paper
May I ask what DAO comprehension paper are? is it for the 11+?
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

JaneEyre, DAO is Dame Alice Owen's, a partially selective comprehensive in Potters Bar, just outside North London. It has entrance exams at 11+ which have, over the last few years, included papers based on Jane Eyre & Jamaica Inn.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Stokers wrote: DAO is Dame Alice Owen's, a partially selective comprehensive
Hi Stokers, :D

Thank for satisfying my curiosity :D Entering the three letters DAO in a search engine was leading me nowhere!
What is a partially selective comprehensive school? Is it a GS without the word 'Grammar' in it? Some CEM entrance exams papers seem to have been used this year... :? Do not all the children need to succeed at the entrance exams to obtain a place? The curriculum seems pitched at an excellent level! :D :D
Last edited by JaneEyre on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

JaneEyre wrote:What is a partially selective comprehensive school?
This may help to demystify that for you: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -selective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks, Sally-Anne! :D