Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Post by Tolstoy »

I have heard today that my DC is likely to be refused a 6th form place at a local Academy/Grammar because of his age. He was forced to redo Y10 at a different school when we relocated a year ago and this means he will turn 19 in Y13 (Very few if any schools will allow DC to enter Y11 from another school or country). I was told they had a similar issue last year and they were not able to offer a place because of funding.

I intend to contact the LEA tomorrow as I am very cross that my Dc should be penalised in this way but would appreciate it if anyone knows what the rules are and is able to give me some advance information.
Guest55

Re: Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Post by Guest55 »

To maintain eligibility for funding for individual students during a learning programme, a wider definition has been agreed with the Skills Funding Agency. A student who was aged 16, 17 or 18 on 31 August at the start of the funding year when they began a learning programme, as recorded on their learning agreement, continues to be funded as a 16-to 18-year- old student. If they become 19 years old during their learning programme such students are funded at 16 to 18 rates to complete their learning programmes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... o_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the rules for 2105 to 2016 ... there is nothing later on the Government website.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Tolstoy, seems like you are going through the mill right now :-( Can't offer any advice, just support, and hope that G55 (and others) has (have) some good info for you.
KenR

Post by KenR »

So long as your DC doesn't already have Level 3 qualifications (typically 2 A levels) under government funding rules he would still be able to study for A Levels at an FE college (note: not 6th form College) that includes Adult Education courses. However bear in mind that not all FE colleges now include A Levels in the curriculum.

Some 6th form colleges will allow student 19+ to study A levels FoC however this is typically reviewed on a case by case basis (typically for existing students)

The following is typically the entry criteria for a FE college:-
Level 3 and 4 courses
(equivalent level to A Levels)

Age 19-23 - If you turned 19 before 1st September but you are still under 24 at the start of a Level 3 or 4 course (except Management and Counselling), you do not have to pay fees on condition you do not already have a full qualification at Level 3 or above and you have less than 2 A Levels. Your eligibility for this funding is normally assessed at time of enrollment.

Adult Learning | Levels Explained

Level 6: Equivalent to third year of university degree course.
Level 6 qualifications include BA (Honours) Degree, BSc (Honours) Degree

Level 5: Equivalent to second year of university degree course.
Level 5 qualifications include Foundation Degree, HND, HNC

Level 4: Equivalent to first year of a university degree course.

Level 3: Equivalent to 2 or more A Levels.
Level 3 qualifications include BTEC National, BTEC Extended, Access to Higher Education, NVQ 3

Level 2: Equivalent to 5 GCSEs at C or above.
Level 2 qualifications include BTEC First, C&G/NVQ 2

Level 1: Equivalent to 5 GCSEs at D or below.
Level 1 qualifications include NVQ 1, Further English/Further Maths

Entry Level: Equivalent to pre-GCSE
Entry Level qualifications include Essential English/Essential Maths (adult literacy and numeracy)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Gosh Tolstoy what a nightmare big hugs ***
mad?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This is a new one on me, but it looks as though the Admissions Code is on your side. It doesn't cover your exact situation, but I think there is enough there to allow your case to be considered under these rules. As ever, the words "must" or "must not" have legal force:
1.9 It is for admission authorities to formulate their admission arrangements, but they must not:

h) discriminate against or disadvantage disabled children, those with special educational needs, or those applying for admission outside their normal age group where an admission authority has agreed to this under paragraphs 2.17 to 2.17B;
Admission of children outside their normal age group

2.17 Parents may seek a place for their child outside of their normal age group, for example, if the child is gifted and talented or has experienced problems such as ill health. In addition, the parents of a summer born child may choose not to send that child to school until the September following their fifth birthday and may request that they are admitted out of their normal age group – to reception rather than year 1. Admission authorities must make clear in their admission arrangements the process for requesting admission out of the normal age group.

2.17A Admission authorities must make decisions on the basis of the circumstances of each case and in the best interests of the child concerned. This will include taking account of the parent’s views; information about the child’s academic, social and emotional development; where relevant, their medical history and the views of a medical professional; whether they have previously been educated out of their normal age group; and whether they may naturally have fallen into a lower age group if it were not for being born prematurely. They must also take into account the views of the head teacher of the school concerned. When informing a parent of their decision on the year group the child should be admitted to, the admission authority must set out clearly the reasons for their decision.

2.17B Where an admission authority agrees to a parent’s request for their child to be admitted out of their normal age group and, as a consequence of that decision, the child will be admitted to a relevant age group (i.e. the age group to which pupils are normally admitted to the school) the local authority and admission authority must process the application as part of the main admissions round, unless the parental request is made too late for this to be possible, and on the basis of their determined admission arrangements only, including the application of oversubscription criteria where applicable. They must not give the application lower priority on the basis that the child is being admitted out of their normal age group. Parents have a statutory right to appeal against the refusal of a place at a school for which they have applied. This right does not apply if they are offered a place at the school but it is not in their preferred age group.
I'm not sure that this bit applies strictly in your case, but it is possibly a little more grist to the mill:
Children from overseas
2.19 Admission authorities must treat applications for children coming from overseas in accordance with European Union law or Home Office rules for non-European Economic Area nationals. Non–statutory guidance on this is available on the website of the Department for Education.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks SallyAnne and Guest55 for the information it is very helpful and yes Mad? and BBB it seems to be one hurdle after another of late and would really appreciate it if we could be cut a break at some point :(

KenR DC is only one year out of sink and on target to get good GCSEs and move straight to A'levels barring any other major catastrophes befalling the family, keeping my fingers tightly crossed on that one.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

what a nightmare - cannot offer advice but just wish you all the best with this battle.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:A student who was aged 16, 17 or 18 on 31 August at the start of the funding year when they began a learning programme, as recorded on their learning agreement, continues to be funded as a 16-to 18-year- old student. If they become 19 years old during their learning programme such students are funded at 16 to 18 rates to complete their learning programmes.
Statement dated March 2015-case closed.

Q.E.D

:D
Last edited by Catseye on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I hope with all my heart that you will manage to enrol your DC for free on the courses he/she really wishes to study.

However, I hope that you know that he will always be able to enrol at a college even if he is above 18, and provided that you pay for the course(s).
I have many many many grey hair. But despite this fact, I plan to go to college next year if our finances allow it. I know there is the possibility of a loan but I really do want to avoid that one so I hope we will be able to save up enough before September (apparently, it is between £700 and £800 depending on the course).

I have to thank Mr Gove for this plan as I would never have come to such a decision if I had not been obliged to sit an English GCSE (since recently, all teachers needs to have an English GCSE, grade C minimum). The new legislation made me enrol onto an English GCSE course this year… and I am enjoying myself so much that now, and because of the reshuffle of the A levels :evil: :evil: , I do not want to miss the opportunity to study AS English language and AS English literature before they disappear into history (I have also asked to enrol onto the AS Creative Writing course for one term and then consider if I have enough time to go on with it or not as I cannot forget my responsibilities as a mum. The problem is that the Creative Writing course will be scrapped in September 2017 so if I do not do it next year, I will never be able to do it! :evil: :evil: )
I have already been accepted into a college; the teachers have been very supportive when observing my enthusiasm. I really look forward to next year!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now