Facebook

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Facebook

Post by moved »

Hi all,
I thought I would share my recent experience. My settings were very private and all posts were 'friends only'. This didn't stop access to my account by an unwanted person. Apparently, it takes under 10 minutes to reset the personal settings without the user being aware.
Yamin151

Re: Facebook

Post by Yamin151 »

Just wondering if you can tell us more, like how they got access? Not much to be done otherwise and I'd like to protect myself.
moved

Post by moved »

I have been informed that it is very easy. Google is their friend! I can no longer have an account. I suggest a pseudonym.
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

Actually, if you want to save your personality, I recommend you not to use your real name and photos. It can be downloaded, edited and used without your permission. Have faced such a cases so often :(
When I have an idea to do something crazy - I just do it. All the rest Papersowl do for me!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just avoid Facebook - my job does not allow it as it is so open to being 'hacked'.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Love Facebook, never had any problems in the 10 years I've been on it (touch wood!!!0, but have always had my settings locked down to entirely private. I don't share personal info particularly. Its been wonderful for me having relatives in far flung places and has got me back in touch, and genuinely inerested (really!) in what old friends are up to. For me, it may well be that I don't have enough in common with them anymore to set a date to meet up (although that does happen and its great) but nevertheless I am genuinely interested in what has happened and what goes on in their lives, so I love to see their posts.
Doesn't interefere in my day to day social life, in fact it is pretty darn useful! So, to completely avoid because of the (hopefully) small risk of becoming a victim of identity fraud etc, I feel would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Fingers crossed it will continue so. But I do advise caution in whatever way you can, as I've said above. For me, in particular, that means that any phhotos I post are only visible to friends, not "friends of friends" through their comments, as if often the way.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are plenty of other ways to stay in touch or get in touch with 'old friends' - Facebook is too open to attack and many people's accounts are not as 'private' as they think.

Beware and find out the issues - don't ignore them because nothing has happened so far.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Yamin151 wrote:For me, in particular, that means that any phhotos I post are only visible to friends, not "friends of friends" through their comments, as if often the way.
I must be a boring facebook user as I post articles! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like Yamin, I love facebook though I am not at all 'addicted' to it like I am to this forum! :roll: :roll: I find it very nice to know what old friends become.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:There are plenty of other ways to stay in touch or get in touch with 'old friends' - Facebook is too open to attack and many people's accounts are not as 'private' as they think.

Beware and find out the issues - don't ignore them because nothing has happened so far.
It may not be for you Guest, but it is for me and many others who have been happy with it for years. I am beware, thank you, and thus far quite happy. It is the best way I have found to keep in touch with old friends in the ways I have described and unless I fall foul of it, then I will continue. That it doesn't suit you is fine too.
Amber

Post by Amber »

FB utterly freaks me out. I 'have to' have it now as I follow some feeds for my research, but I am obsessive about my settings and have never posted anything at all on my own timeline! I comment on a couple of others sometimes. I don't have any of my 'actual' friends as friends, only some others who live abroad and one who is a minor celebrity/comedian who makes me laugh (but he is a friend in person too). I ignore friend requests as they all seem to be from people I don't know at all - why do people do that? I would never ever put a photo of my children on it and I don't look at their accounts either - though they rarely use it anyway as it is apparently only for old people now like me.

I am amazed at the stuff which appears on there and can sometimes imagine how children feel when they are excluded from things on it - seeing some of the friends of friends' children and the kind of photos which make them look 10 years older than they are in all sorts of semi-provocative poses is chilling. I also find it weird that I get a 'people you may know' feed which includes my neighbours, people I once sent an email to, a nurse who treated me about three years ago...how do they find this information out?

One friend of a friend who I don't know even slightly does things like posts when she is at a restaurant - 'having the spicy prawns and then the penne arabbiata' - that kind of thing. Do not get that at all - why would she want someone like me to know this? The woman is a stranger to me.

PaperOwl - FB recently brought in a rule where you have to use your real name. I know because a friend used a pseudonym as he's quite well known and didn't want unwanted people stalking him. I am not sure if they have reversed it now but it did cause my friend some issues.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now