First term of Y7 report - how to share with DD?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LostInTheShuffle

First term of Y7 report - how to share with DD?

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

Just reviewed DD's Y7 first term report - glad/relieved that DD has settled in well in her classes.

Question: How have parents shared such report with their DC? Do you show them the report in full or provide a summary/highlights?

FYI - there are no letter grades, only excellent/good/needs improvement, followed by comments by each teacher.

Many thanks.
Guest55

Re: First term of Y7 report - how to share with DD?

Post by Guest55 »

I would let her read it all - she is old enough for you to talk to her about it and help her use the comments to improve.
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

Thanks, G55. DD has just read it and took on stride comments urging her to participate more actively in class discussions. DD has been quite impressed with some of her classmates and I sensed a little doubt on her part about doing well. Hopefully, she will now feel that she will be fine academically.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

At DDs school the girls get to see their report before they write their own statement to go on the end. I get to know what's on her report before I even see it.

Definitely you should let her see it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It's hers.

In the days of paper, my lot always opened them before I even got to see them; as did I when I was at school (remember asking my dad, 'what does 'erratic' mean?', and he said 'which teacher said that?'). Now ours are online and they look at them at the same time as I do. No biggy, as they would say.
moved

Post by moved »

I remember steaming mine open so that I was prepared for the ire. Obviously, I changed any minuses to plusses!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't understand why you wouldn't? Isn't the purpose to give them feedback? We used to have to deliver ours unopened to our parents, but the school made us address the envelopes ourselves. I used to keep a spare stock of envelopes and feel sure all the other pupils did too. Now our DCs see it at school before we do.
scary mum
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

DD's brought their reports home today.They get to read them at school before they seal them in an envelope to bring home.
DD2 in year 7 and hers is just a comment for each section ie/ excellent, good, reasonable or concern.
DD1 in year 10 - given a predicted lowest Gcse grade and if on target for it.
If they hadn't read them I would have shared with them.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I cannot understand why you would even contemplate not sharing their report? It's theirs! Even in primary school, we gave the boys their reports to read (or read them with them and explained them.) They need to know how the teacher perceives they are getting on and any "negative" comments about talking too much etc so that they a) have a right to reply and b) can buck up their ideas where necessary.

Our school requires the boy to write the back page of the report, saying how they feel they have got on and, as parents we have to write comments on a form to return the first day of the next page, and the boys have place to write their comments to the staff too. Both my boys always fully complete this, as do I!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote: We used to have to deliver ours unopened to our parents, but the school made us address the envelopes ourselves. I used to keep a spare stock of envelopes and feel sure all the other pupils did too. Now our DCs see it at school before we do.
:lol: :lol: I remember having to address the envelope too and was just wondering why we didn't do the spare envelope trick ??? then remembered that they actually posted them home to make sure they got there :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now