Does my DD have to write in full answers in Comprehension?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Imranali

Does my DD have to write in full answers in Comprehension?

Post by Imranali »

Hi,
My dd is giving the academic scholarship test for The Abbey School in Reading and was wondering whether or not she should write in full sentenced answers or just quick answers in Comprehension. If you could reply ASAP, that would be great :D
Daogroupie

Re: Does my DD have to write in full answers in Comprehensio

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes. Absolutely. It is a test of her ability to write as well as understand the text. Sentences unless they tell you otherwise. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I can't answer your question as such, but certainly in the past there was no separate 'academic scholarship' test for Abbey. They offer them to girls who excel in the standard entrance exam. My DDs friend was offered one, (although she took a place at Kendrick instead) back in 2013.
Imranali

Post by Imranali »

Tinkers wrote:I can't answer your question as such, but certainly in the past there was no separate 'academic scholarship' test for Abbey. They offer them to girls who excel in the standard entrance exam. My DDs friend was offered one, (although she took a place at Kendrick instead) back in 2013.
I meant she's hoping to get an academic scholarship.
Sorry :)
Imranali

Post by Imranali »

Daogroupie wrote:Yes. Absolutely. It is a test of her ability to write as well as understand the text. Sentences unless they tell you otherwise. DG
Thanks. Just 2 weeks to go. DD's full of questions
Imranali

Post by Imranali »

Yes, I'm back.
Hello everyone! Do you have any idea what kind of creative writing topics could come up? I've read the section on this website already but I want to know about the different types of writing there are eg.persuasive, narrative, poem ect.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

If there are 2 papers then you will have a directed writing on one paper and a creative writing on the other. The directed writing will be along the lines of a diary/ persuasive (newspaper, speech, formal letter) or a discursive essay. They will be given a choice of topics and then choose one to write about.

The creative will be either a story or description where again they are given a title, starting sentence or a picture and then they just let their imaginations go.

Both are to show that they can write in a range of styles, tenses and person.
Imranali

Post by Imranali »

MedievalBabe wrote:If there are 2 papers then you will have a directed writing on one paper and a creative writing on the other. The directed writing will be along the lines of a diary/ persuasive (newspaper, speech, formal letter) or a discursive essay. They will be given a choice of topics and then choose one to write about.

The creative will be either a story or description where again they are given a title, starting sentence or a picture and then they just let their imaginations go.

Both are to show that they can write in a range of styles, tenses and person.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Apparently they didn't get a choice in Jan 2013, but I don't have any more info than that.
Imranali

Post by Imranali »

Are the creative writing tasks and the comprehension tasks linked? Oh, and thank you for all of your replies! :P
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now