Habs Boys NVR questions

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
whetstonemum

Habs Boys NVR questions

Post by whetstonemum »

My son is sitting the Habs exam in January. Can anyone give me an idea of the difficulty level of the NVR questions? He has just done a GL NVR test and found it quite challenging so I am hoping the level will be a bit easier! Thanks in advance.
IronMikeTyson

Re: Habs Boys NVR questions

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Don't know about the habs exam,but with NVR you need to familiarise with the types of questions,find a method and practice until you can do the questions quickly.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Da-rainbow

Post by Da-rainbow »

75 questions in the reasoning paper, and 30 mins allowed to finish. Not difficult but more to do with the timing. Boys need to be very quick thinking, don't dwell and keep moving to get them done within. The big trick is actually on the English paper, where it has a section of 10 general knowledge questions, you either get them or your don't. Need to be well read.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You will be competing against some ds who will have done a lot of NVR for Latymer CEM so I would recommend that you do some timed CEM NVR papers. You can get better very quickly. DG
Annegg

Post by Annegg »

So is the reasoning paper all NVR or VR too? Also the English general knowledge is that something likr current affairs or something else? I thought this section was grammar. Clearly mistaken. :(
Da-rainbow

Post by Da-rainbow »

Mixed of VR and NVR. English paper last year has a section of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anagram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

VR and NVR are the best tests for innate intelligence by some measure.

The beauty of NVR is familiarization is relatively quick and accessible to all without much prior knowledge and is the Gold Standard Test that separates the girls from the women!

Formal English or Maths is mostly dependent on culture,class and prior education.

All 11+ tests should be based on VR and NVR imo and nothing else.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Catseye wrote:Formal English or Maths is mostly dependent on culture,class and prior education.

I couldn't agree more, especially with regards to any creative writing in English tests. The key for acing these seems to be to know the marking scheme, which most children won't know but those with the right tutors will.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Catseye wrote:VR and NVR are the best tests for innate intelligence by some measure.

The beauty of NVR is familiarization is relatively quick and accessible to all without much prior knowledge and is the Gold Standard Test that separates the girls from the women!

Formal English or Maths is mostly dependent on culture,class and prior education.

Surely it depends on the type of pupils that the school is looking to recruit?

I agree that if they're purely looking for the pupils with the highest innate intelligence then an NVR test would be best.

Why should we assume this though? There is no GCSE in NVR. Perhaps selective schools are looking for pupils who have the greatest potential to do well in formal English, Maths and other subjects which use these as a basis. In which case testing in English and maths would seem to make sense wouldn't it?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Hum......lets look at the logical of;
Proud_Dad wrote:Why should we assume this though? There is no GCSE in NVR. Perhaps selective schools are looking for pupils who have the greatest potential to do well in formal English, Maths and other subjects which use these as a basis.
versus
Proud_Dad wrote:I agree that if they're purely looking for the pupils with the highest innate intelligence then an NVR test would be best.
Can you spot a contradiction?

If both statements are true then why does it necessarily follow that those children with the highest reasoning skills should not also have the greatest potential for GCSE subjects or getting Nobel Prizes? So who is making assumptions now?

Don't worry I have finally got it. The penny has dropped, 11+ is for prep children or privately tutored children or the children of the highly aspirational DIY parents.

Nowt to do with intelligence! Thats the only logical and self-consistent conclusion one could come to -using just your own logic.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now