2017 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Taolut

2017 Entry

Post by Taolut »

Hi everyone,

I noticed this morning the date for the 2016 exam has been updated on the website and thought it would be nice to know how everyone is preparing or planning to prepare for the exam.

My dd attends Explore Learning twice a week! one for 11+ and the other for general Maths and English. I also help him at home with homework and topics which he finds tricky.

I am waiting for the next report from school to see where he is but have been told by his teacher before the Christmas break that he is at the top of his class.

What are you all doing to prepare?

It would be nice for us to come together, share ideas, tips and work together towards getting ready for the exam.

Please feel free to share ideas.
Last edited by Taolut on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudmumregardless

Re: 2017 Entry

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Please don't take this the wrong way but if he's having all that tuition and extra help at home and is still struggling then he is probably not going to pass.

We did some gap filling with bond books but otherwise just did practice papers for exam practice.

You are looking at wanting your child to be, what was, a level 5a at the start of year 6 to stand a good chance of getting a good enough mark to get in.
Taolut

Post by Taolut »

I have probably put it the wrong way. He has always attended explore learning since he was in year 3 and so is his brother so it's not like he has started extensive coaching just for eleven plus exam and when I say I help him at home, what I really mean is answering anything he does not understand and some questions that every child his age asks.

I have not even started on the bond books with him just yet and he is well on his was to achieving level 5 even before year 6 and he is in no way struggling, like I said in my earlier post, he is the top of his class.

My post is just to start something where everyone sitting the exam could come together and discuss and not aimed at looking for ways to coach him.

Like I said earlier, it could be that my message has not been conveyed the way I intended.

Many thanks for your reply, I probably would look at the Bond books too.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What does he cover in the 11 plus class at Explore Learning? I would suggest looking at the Manchester Grammar English papers as they use the same type of classic texts as CSSE. DG
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Proudmumregardless, I do read Taolut's post as saying that she "helps him with issues that he personally finds difficult", rather than that he finds the usual level for his peer group difficult, or is struggling with it and therefore needs additional tuition.

Taolut, please do keep an eye on what ExploreLearning is offering by way of 11+ tuition - we have had occasional reports of their curriculum not always being appropriate for the test in each region.

(Cross-post with Daogroupie, making the same comment!)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We have a local Explore learning that is mostly staffed by friends of my daughter; they are the ones that do all the work but there are older managers milling around looking important clutching clipboards.

Your one may be different but our branch would not be capable of teaching at the level required for our local selectives. I have had personal experience of students who have spent some time there and their levels are nowhere near what is required. DG
Taolut

Post by Taolut »

Thanks Daogroupie and Sally-Anne, I will definitely look into what explore learning are offering. I know they have the syllabus to be covered on the first page of their work book, I will look into it in more details to see if its sufficient for 11+.

I will also look at the Manchester Grammer school Test, many thanks for the suggetion :)
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Hi. I'm 2016 entry but just to reassure you, we used explore learning 11 plus course (he'd been going there since the start of yr 4) and other than practicing a few past papers over the summer holidays at home that was all we did. If your child is able that should be fine. My son got a score of 360.
Good luck!
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Putting this separately in case it violates the rules re. recommendations, although I'm not recommending merely passing info. I understand the concern regarding explore tutors being school kids, however the 11 plus course at the branch i used is taught by a woman of my age who is the longest serving (and very experienced) member of staff. I imagine with different staff members in different branches it might be of differing quality.
Taolut

Post by Taolut »

Thanks Slightlystressedmum that is quiet reassuring and well done to your son, I have also looked at the topic to be covered and it looks like it covers everything from ks2.

I have just bought the Bond books and will practise with him using that.

Thanks for telling me about ur experience with explore and good luck with your ds getting into the school of ur choice.