SW Herts exam formats and exam boards

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Northdad

SW Herts exam formats and exam boards

Post by Northdad »

My Dd is planning to take her exams in Sept 2016 for entry to amongst others, Watford Grammer Girls.

Please can I obtain some advice on the format and exam Boards used by SW Herts?

I've looked at the stickies but can't be sure it's up to date... I understand there were some changes implemented recently... GL to CEM?

Thanks very much for your help in advance.
Daogroupie

Re: SW Herts exam formats and exam boards

Post by Daogroupie »

SW Herts uses CEM Verbal and GL standard format Maths. CEM Verbal was introduced for the time this year. It is English CEM only so there is no NVR or Numerical Reasoning. DG
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Thanks very much for the reply daogroupie.

As far as the English is concerned, what is required?

Does it include a comprehension? If so is it multiple choice or written answers?

Many thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is no comprehension. Last year the sections were missing letter cloze, matching words, opposite words, shuffled sentences and word bank cloze.

Most of those who had prepared well did well. Marks were a lot lower than in the conventional Moray House VR the previous year. This was mostly because a lot of tutors don't bother to look at the SW Herts website or go to the open days so were still preparing students using the old format.

SW Herts were forced to advise parents to add 25 marks to their results in order to be able to compare them to the previous year.

This year will be different as the genie is out of the bottle! DG
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Many thanks for your replies. So to summarise it seems there are only 2 exams, VR is CEM and Maths GL. VR has a high English component but there is no other English exam.

Thanks again.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not VR, it is English CEM only. That is what it was this year. DAO who used the same CEM have already announced their format for next year which is the same format and they have also announced their dates.

SW Herts have not announced dates or formats.

SW Herts have never had an English exam but the CEM paper is now English and not VR.

I expect SW Herts to continue with the CEM paper and possibly move to CEM for Maths as well.

I would recommend you focus on vocabulary and building up maths strengths in timetables and basic maths concepts. DG
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Many thanks for this DG. Sound advice.

Would you say the HBS Round 1 is similar style for English, (in addition to Maths CEM)?
AML

Post by AML »

DG - please could you clarify. SW herts website says VR not english.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not English, It is English VR. I know exactly what it is as many sat it last year and got very high marks. They may also move the Maths to CEM maths this year. We will only find out when they put up the sample paper. They have moved their date to CEM Super Saturday 10th September which is a date those doing the same paper use like Redbridge, Latymer and Reading. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now