Are optional ks2 results reflection of future 11+ success?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum of twins

Are optional ks2 results reflection of future 11+ success?

Post by mum of twins »

Hope someone can help with a bit of advice have just had optional sat results for my twins girl got 4c writing and 3a maths boy got 3b maths and 2c in writing these are results from tests taken in November last year. The teacher has mentioned that my daughter is on line to do her 11+ but not to think about it for my son at the moment . He has gone backwards in his writing last year was 3a- he is having a bad time of it at the moment his father keeps saying he is going to see him and doesnt turn up (men!) anyway my question is as they are both in year 4 does that mean my son is likely to fail his 11+ if i try and put him in for it or should i get a tutor in to get his grades up. i have been told through school playground that all i need to worry about is the maths side of things to get a pass for the 11+ can anyone put me in the right direction or give me advice on how the teacher knows a child is capable or not of doing the 11+ and if it helps i have already posted this on ks2 forum and someone suggested i post on here too in order to get some advice.
We live in sunny Maidstone!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Quick glance at those marks suggests that, in the context of ability, there is not really anything between them. Maths marks are about the same. Girls handwriting is neater than the boys - no surprise there.
mum of twins

KS2 results and 11+

Post by mum of twins »

Thanks for that. :D Any views on the rest of my post ?
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Hello Mum of twins,

I don't think that any of us can really advise on whether your son would be happier at a grammar or high school. What does his teacher say? Just that he won't pass the 11+ or that, even if he did so, he would struggle with the pace of work at grammar? If the latter I would really think twice about trying to coach him through. Grammars in Kent have slightly lower funding per child than comps/ high schools and tend to have larger classes. Coupled with the faster pace of work it could leave him struggling.

As far as passing the test is concerned, it is true that the Kent test doesn't, currently, require children to pass an English paper but it does include a verbal reasoning paper. I don't agree that your twins have fairly similar English SATs results. They are 2 whole levels apart (which is about 3 academic years I think!) Level 2c is slightly below the average for a child at the end of year 2.

It seems likely that MGS is about to switch to taking boys with the highest 11+ results rather than those who just "pass". I think that you need to be realistic as to whether your son would manage this. The alternative, locally, is Oakwood Park which is quite maths and science orientated. Would that suit your son?

There are tutors in the area who will assess your child at this stage and let you know whether they think that, with coaching, he has a decent chance of passing the 11+.

Failing that, if you really dislike all the other Maidstone schools, could you move towards Paddock Wood? I gather Mascalls is pretty good....
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I have just revisited this site and decided that I was a bit negative in my last post. Sorry! Level 3a for writing in year 3 is pretty good (especially if that was just the writing, not the whole English grade). If the current SATs levels were indicative of your son's ability I wouldn't think a grammar place was likely to suit him, frankly, but it looks as though he could actually do much better.

I suspect that you will just need to wait and see how things go over the next year or so. He is still quite some time away from 11+ and even if you are looking at 11+ tuition year 4 is very early to start.

As regards the correlation between optional SATs and 11+ marks, there isn't that much. This is because the VR and NVR papers in the 11+ are meant to measure ability not attainment. You may find that your school tests one or both of these at the end of year 4. If so, this may give you a better idea of his chances of success. There is a maths paper but it's a bit early to judge how he is likely to do on that.

I hope things settle down soon and that your son starts to feel happier. Best of luck to you all.
mum of twins

re ks2 results and 11+

Post by mum of twins »

Thanks for the honest detailed answer i really appreciate it! Itsnt it wonderful being a parent!!! hope this post proves useful to other parents. thanks once again
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

mum of twins, I have reread your post several times.You say your son has gone from a 3a in writing last year to a 2c - is this right?
To be top of level 3 in year 3 is great, but to go to the bottom of level 2 is a tall order. Are you sure it wasn't 3c? How did the teacher explain this - was it a blip on a written test? Where does the teacher assess him to be with his writing?
If I were you I would ask the teacher for an explanation of this. I know you said he is having a rough time of it right now but we are talking going down 6 sub levels. I am not sure this is an accurate assessment. Ask the teacher where your son is lacking - imaginative vocabulary, punctuation, not enough quantity. I am sure that with your help your son can begin to improve, you can help him at home with lots of reading. Try asking him to read to you his choice of book at night then you read to him your choice of book. Ask him lots of questions about the stories, what does he think will happen next etc.
I know all this does not answer your question re 11+ but I think its too early to be worrying about it - just work on improving your sons grades so that he can achieve his own personal potential.
Good luck. I am sure with a caring mum like you it will all work out good. :)
moved

downturn of grades

Post by moved »

Just to let you know, my daughter was thought not to have the ability to pass her 11+ in year 3 (maths too weak). By the end of year 4 she got a 4b and in her latest school exam (year 5) came top in the class in maths and English. I gave her little bits of work to do at home and she has worked through some of the early bond assessment books. But mostly she has gained some confidence and believes that she can do the maths. Good luck, the beginning of year 4 is too early to make any decision, especially if he is having problems. As the 11+ does not even have a written component be happy that the maths is not the problem!!
mum of twins

Post by mum of twins »

This site is fantastic thanks for all the replys so far. I have just started doing some written work with him and my daughter 10 minutes a day. His reading is fine he was a free reader had read harry potter and all the roald dahl books (to give you an idea of his reading ability) by age 6. He just cannot seem to think of any ideas to get down on paper and hates writing (which is strange but perhaps someone can shed light if this is quite normal. Have checked with the teacher and because they didnt get any work out of him on the day of the test they had to mark his work with what they had! (Is that how it works) he was having a stroppy day when he didnt want to do anything because he was angry that his dad had let me down with the visits again!(for anyone that is looking at this post!) Also have talked to quite a lot of mums who have said more or less the same thing that if you think they can do it go for it. I am really surprised at how many parents were told their children were not capable of passing the 11+ but with home tutition and a bit of determination have proved the teachers wrong and have children in top stream at grammer schools (boys and girls).
I await any further comments on this and there must be other parents out there who are in the same boat and any information might help them! thanks!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum of twins

Being a free reader and reading the likes of Harry Potter at the age of 6..

It is extremely important that children still read out aloud to an adult.

1] Children will skirt over unknown vocabulary [they get the gist of the sentance and paragraph without knowing the meaning of the 'offending' word]

2] They mispronounce words.

3] Their comprehension of the text will be weak if the matter has not been discussed, which could be the reason he cannot put his thoughts onto paper.

With regard to this problem " he didnt want to do anything because he was angry that his dad had let me down with the visits again!" Perhaps try not tell your children that a visit is about to take place. If he turns up all well and good, if not the children are non the wiser.

Patricia