Compulsory EPQs

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tense

Compulsory EPQs

Post by tense »

My DS is currently in Yr 11. His school has decided that as students (on the whole) won't now start 4 A levels but drop one after the AS, it will be compulsory for sixth-formers to do an EPQ.

This fills me with dread. My DS actually did the lower level EPQ when in Yr9/10 - it was absolute torture. Without the structure of a curriculum / homework deadlines etc, it was really difficult to get him engaged / motivated. He absolutely hated it (& so did I).

School says that EPQs are highly valued by universities. I'm not sure I believe them. My DD (much more organised than her brother!) fitted in 4 A levels and an EPQ whilst in sixth form, but the EPQ didn't feature at all in her uni offers.

I'd be interrested to know whether the EPQ is becoming more widespread in your schools? Would my DS really be at a disadvantage when applying to uni if he doesn't do one?

Thank you.
Guest55

Re: Compulsory EPQs

Post by Guest55 »

This is becoming more common. The new linear A levels are very much an unknown and as more subject come into line the Year 13 exams are more high stake. We know that results before modules were lower, so many schools seem to be cutting down the number of A levels they teach. There is also an economic component - it's cheaper!

An EPQ in the sixthform should help prepare them for Uni and will give something they can mention in their PS. However I've not seen an offer include it as yet but it does seem that unis do like them.
emsy

Post by emsy »

My DD has applied to university this year for History and her Birmingham offer is AAB or ABB with A in EPQ. Leeds said in the talk at the Open Day that they don't include it in offers but can consider it when deciding whether to take someone who has just missed an offer. The other three didn't mention it or include it in their offers.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's has offers from Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle (amongst others) to study history and politics for this coming September. Not one if them asked for an EPQ, which is just as well as she didn't do one!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Whilst not many universities formally include them in offers, my understanding is that you may get a slightly lower offer for your A levels grades (or slight slippage in them) with a high grade at EPQ. The point about why Universities quite like them is precisely because they are without the structure of the curriculum/homework/deadlines etc. They show that a student is capable of independent research/thought/planning etc which is, frankly, one of the most useful skills you can take into University as that is how the majority of courses are presented.
drummer

Post by drummer »

My son visited Oxford on an open day last year and specifically asked them about the EPQ he said that NONE of the tutors/admissions advisors he asked had even heard of an EPQ and told him not to bother. In fact none of the top universities that he applied to asked about the EPQ and he doesn't know anyone who was asked about it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am surprised that they had not heard of them. A quick look at Oxford University website clarifies that whilst they do not intend to go down the route of formally offering against additional qualifications such as EPQ, they recognise that they show different aspects of academic study and that candidates should certainly mention how they are relevant to the course e.g. Medical Sciences....
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

EPQ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/pe ... t-top-tips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been looking at 'The Student Room' website and it appears some students have offers that are one grade lower if they get a grade A in their EPQ.
Last edited by Guest55 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

DD was interviewed at Oxford for a humanities subject back in December. She had four interviews in total, two at one college and two at another. To her surprise she was asked about her EPQ at every single interview - to the point that she was fed up of repeating herself! Her EPQ topic does relate directly to her chosen degree.

I think they are a lot of work but that they do demonstrate an ability (or not) to work independently without structure, or at least offer the opportunity to develop these skills.