Single sex education for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Grace

Single sex education for girls

Post by Grace »

I'm getting close to choosing between an all girls and a mixed grammar school.

Does anyone know of recent research or have their own experience.

I'm as concerned about the social and emotional side as the academic.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I went to an all girls school and so did my daughter and teh social side was fine!
:wink:
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My son is in year eight at an all boys school and he isn't suffering socially and still seems to have girl 'friends'. We had two schools in our catchment with both being all boys so you could say we didn't really have a choice with the only mixed GS being very over subscribed. Still had we I am not sure what we would of done. At the time my son wasn't worried at all.

I haveto say he did at the end of last year mention that he wished sometimes he was in a mixed school but we reassured him that aslong as he is happy in his school thats what counts and he is. He hasn't said it again. He has been to several mixed school discos and birthday parties and as he gets a bus he does see the girls from the neighboroughing girls school. As he is pretty popular I am happy he is an all boys school as I think a mixed may have been distracting for him.

We may have the same worries as you this year when we look for my year 5 dd. Again we will have two options of both all girls schools in catchment and I am not sure how my dd will be although I think she assumes that if she passes the 11+ It goes without saying she will go to an all girls school.

Mel x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have taught at both single sex and mixed schools - I preferred the mixed.

All girls schools can be very intense and girls can be b*tchy to each other.

All boys schools seem very 'masculine' and, in my experience, there is more bullying.

I think it depends if the child has siblings of the opposite gender - and maybe their personality - I dont think there is one answer.
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

Have a wee look at www.gsa.uk.com - I just did a google on 'Why a girl's school'
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hardly an unbiased source!
:lol:

http://www.cls.ioe.ac.uk/news.asp?secti ... 3&item=335

This gives some pors and cons. It is a personal choice - in my experience mixed schools do not trumpet their advantages much.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I have read (possibly during my teacher training) that girls do better in single sex schools. I went to one and spent my time complaining that I wanted to be in a mixed school, although I doubt it was for reasons that would have improved my grades! My children have chosen single sex schools without my input. I think that if a mixed grammar school, or a good quality mixed secondary school, existed in our area, I would encourage my children to go to it.