Help Required with understanding the scoring mechanism

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
imranb

Help Required with understanding the scoring mechanism

Post by imranb »

At the outset, what a wonderful forum this is. My son has just started preparing for the Sep-16 Birmingham exams with KE CHB as the key target, and I am trying to come to grips with the entire scoring system. Can someone please point me in the direction of a resource (or a thread on this forum) where I can understand the break-down of the maximum scores between VR, NVR and Maths. How these scores are calculated. I need to get my head around the weightage I need to give to each subject and work on the weak areas for my dear son.
OldTrout

Re: Help Required with understanding the scoring mechanism

Post by OldTrout »

Hi imranb:

Several 'regulars' wrote for breakdowns of scores and posted them here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 9&start=50 - scores posted from page 6 of this feed.

I strongly advise you read the sticky at the top of the Birmingham section which talks about past content of the KE Exames (state grammars) - there's a lot of great information there to help guide you.

HTH
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

For Walsall exam (if they do a separate one) there are three scores Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal and Maths.
The average scores is 100 and roughly your child will get this is they can get roughly 50% in all three areas.

My Daughter scored 151 out of 204 raw and scored 360, so you can see that 75% gets you a reasonably high score on Walsall, but remember the Verbal is weighted much higher on the kind Edward 11+. I think a lot of people do not get the speed element in achieving high raw scores, and one of the tactics on CEM 11+ exams is to hit kids with ridiculous numbers of questions in a very short period of time.

This throws a lots of kids and consequently you see large numbers missing out quite high numbers of questions. The exam is about being able to chug through questions speedily and accurately and for that you need deep mastery of basic maths and particularly for KE a very wide vocabulary built up through copious amounts of reading.

Hope that helps. I suggest doing a timed bond placement test
imranb

Post by imranb »

Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now