GCSE Mock Results.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pumpkin Pie

GCSE Mock Results.

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

How important are the GCSE mock results?

Are they indicative of what will be achieved in the final GCSE's?

Do most students do better in their final GCSE exams?
Guest55

Re: GCSE Mock Results.

Post by Guest55 »

It depends.

I think they are very important to the student - it shows them where they are now and what needs to be done. For teachers it's a good way of highlighting individual and class gaps in learning.

Some unknowns:
* How hard did the student revise?
* Do the grades include coursework?
* Did some students cheat by accessing the test paper [just look on TSR for students trying to see the June 2015 paper] and so your child'd results look worse because of this? Edexcel sent out a special mock paper for Maths because of the problems.

I usually expect students to be within one grade of their prediction and to go up at least one grade in the summer - maybe more if coursework hasn't been included.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm sure you'll get as many opinions as you do responses :lol: However, DS1 certainly didn't cover himself in glory with his mock results and did much better in the actual exams.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS went up in most of stayed the same. However 2 went down from A* to B as he rested on his laurels. DD went down from an A to a D in one :shock: (a short course)
scary mum
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My experience was that the GCSE mock results were a bit of a kick up the bottom for my son. He didn't do as well as he'd expected and it made him realise, without parental intervention but quite probably with teacher intervention, that the quality and volume of his revision so far wasn't good enough. He did far better in the real exams as he'd worked out for himself what level of effort was needed and revised thoroughly. One or two other friends of his who'd gained a clutch of high grades in their mocks did rest on their laurels rather and didn't do so well in their actual exams.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now