Is it possible? Have I left it too late?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatsia

Is it possible? Have I left it too late?

Post by fatsia »

Hi

My son has just started year 6. During the summer we found out that we could apply to a couple of grammar schools outside London.

We have been doing some Maths, English, Verbal and Non-Verbal reasoning with him everyday and he finds it pretty easy.

The problem we have is he is not particularly good at essays. He is good at comprehension, has good spelling, neat handwriting and understands how grammar should be used. It just does not seem to fit together that well.

Any advice? We've got until the end of Nov this year.

Thanks

F
D

London grammar schools

Post by D »

F,

You have not left it too late, but bear in mind the grammar schools around London are fiercely competitive to get into as there are very few around the area.

The good news for you is that state grammar schools, rarely, if ever ask a child to write an essay. All their exams, due to the volume of candidates, tend to be multiple choice - that is the only way they can get them marked quickly and impartially.

D
Kj

Post by Kj »

If only that were true, in Sutton you have a 50 minute Verbal reasoning test, a 30 minute comprehension and grammar, a 20 minute essay and 35 minute maths test
Kj

Post by Kj »

If only that were true, in Sutton you have a 50 minute Verbal reasoning test, a 30 minute comprehension and grammar, a 20 minute essay and 35 minute maths test
Kj

Post by Kj »

Post by Guest »

Kj wrote:If only that were true, in Sutton you have a 50 minute Verbal reasoning test, a 30 minute comprehension and grammar, a 20 minute essay and 35 minute maths test

Not all Sutton grammar schools have English tests. I think only applies to Wilson, remaining ones test on VR & Maths

Post by Guest »

I was at Sutton Grammars open evening last night and the details I quoted are from their literature, they are the same for Wallington County Grammar as well. Entrance test details are all on their websites.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now