Any holiday recommendations for Devon/Cornwall

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
onebigdilemma

Any holiday recommendations for Devon/Cornwall

Post by onebigdilemma »

Looking to book a week in the summer to either Devon or Cornwall. Anyone recommend anywhere?
onebigdilemma

Re: Any holiday recommendations for Devon/Cornwall

Post by onebigdilemma »

Woolacombe is the ONLY place I have been too in Devon!! We went last year and had such a good time we wanted to head back down south for our holiday but trying to see if there were any other nice areas.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Woolacombe is THE best beach in the south west - I've never seen any 'chavs' there :)
There is a good range of accommodation.

Other good places but in south Devon are Paignton, Dawlish (trains run alongside the beach), Sidmouth (avoid Festival week unless you want to go as everywhere is more expensive), Bigbury (a bit expensve though). Budleigh Salterton (no sand but lovely), .... all that coast is great. We did the coastal train from Exmouth along the coast to Exeter and then it continues along the coast to Teignmouth/Paignton.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.tout-saints.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... England.ht" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We stayed one Xmas many years ago for 5 days.I have many nostalgic memories of our stay with my family.I don't know your budget it may be worth a night or to book a meal.Lovely area to explore.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We enjoyed the Lost Gardens of Heligan and the Eden Project.

We camped, in a place with a restaurant and some donkeys-sorry it was a long time ago!

My friend and I both simultaneously realised that we were expecting our dd2's- she couldn't stop sleeping and I couldn't stop eating.
J50

Post by J50 »

Guest55 wrote:Woolacombe is THE best beach in the south west - I've never seen any 'chavs' there :)
Well that's good to know, but a little rude of you to use such language... :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think 'someone' had their posts moderated J50 - or did you delete it? :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Try Kennack Sands in Cornwall. A bit off the beaten tourist track but a glorious beach.
J50

Post by J50 »

Guest55 wrote:I think 'someone' had their posts moderated J50 - or did you delete it? :lol:

I would never delete but I did have to make a complaint unfortunately...
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

onebigdilemma wrote:Looking to book a week in the summer to either Devon or Cornwall. Anyone recommend anywhere?
Depends what you're looking for. The northwest (atlantic) coast has the best beaches for surfing and bodyboarding while the southeast coast is generally more sheltered. Also are you looking for a quiet, pretty village or somewhere with lots of activities for children?

Newquay has gained a bit of a bad reputation in recent years for being a bit 'rowdy', but in my opinion it still has some of the best variety of beaches in the region and lots of good surf and coasteering companies.

I'd also recommend Woolacombe and neighbouring Croyde, both generally have good waves.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now