Latin and Greek or Statistics?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Latin and Greek or Statistics?

Post by Yamin151 »

Son is wondering which

Latin and Greek (Double GCSE) or Statistics. He has mentioned the law and certainly his other choices all lean towards the traditional.

Not a huge issue either way I'm sure and as I've said before he is only 12 so may change his mind many times, but any obvious reason to choose one over the other if he is undecided? He knows L and G a lot of work, his mates doing statistics, but neither ideal basis for choice, but maybe it doesn't matter. He could do either. Maths not a favourite! But statistics not algebra etc and is of more interest to him. He has a HUGE background knowledge of ancient world and has excelled at latin.

In short, he's not sure.

Thanks!
Guest55

Re: Latin and Greek or Statistics?

Post by Guest55 »

Work-wise I'd choose Statistics - one GCSE is bound to be less work [btw I did do Latin O level so I am not anti-Classics].

Statistics covers some useful ideas for Humanities subjects e.g. correlation.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Thank you, yes, I can see that. and definitely a lot more work.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The amount of work is a very valid point.The other question I would consider are the results at GCSE at the school over the years as one department may be more stronger at achieving the top grades compared to the other.I am assuming the stats are part of the maths GCSE.It is more important to get the highest grades at GCSE for Maths and English for employment purposes because a lot of employers ask for A level grades and the subjects and then the number of GCSEs then only ask for the grades only in English and Maths.This is what I have noticed as my eldest has completed lots of online applications for work experience and internships with different companies.The position is different for getting on courses at multifarious Universities where they do ask for the different GCSEs and grades.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Quasimodo - that can be dodgy data as the GCSE grades will depend on the academic ability of students opting for the different subjects! Even in a GS there is considerably variability ... if weaker students choose, for example, Geography, then these results might appear to be worse.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I accept a department is only as good as the ability levels of its pupils and there may be flaws in the data.

One of the reasons I chose my youngest dds school was the strength of its maths department which is evidenced by the results in further maths by the 30 girls who took the GCSE last year with all but 4 getting an A* under the old system or the strength of its language department in winning national awards in Japanese and Russian.In each school there may be different strengths and weaknesses.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sorry I'm being really dim but I'm not sure exactly what you mean? I haven't spent a lot of time looking into gcse results. Th statistics gcse is a sparate entity to the maths
GCSE.....
The Latin and Greek is two full GCSEs, done over 3 years. Yes, a lot more work. I don't see DS taking a degree that is specifically maths related. But I do see that a robust and excellent maths result in important, but that will be done separately from statistics.
Not sure if I've answered your advice....... Thank you though
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

What I meant was whilst I accept all results are dependent on the ability levels of the pupils you could check on the gcse results to see how successful the departments have been in getting high grades in the gcses over the last few years.Usually the results for one year, sometimes other years are on the school website.It gives you an indication to help in your decision making.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh right, yes of course, I shall check.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yamin I don't know if it helps but my son took both Latin and Greek GCSE and although hard work he did enjoy the challenge. He enjoys studying languages anyway and found them very interesting. I encouraged him as I did Latin A level myself and am endlessly pleased that I did, even though it's utterly irrelevant to my current career. He was told by school that having a good grade at Greek GCSE does make you stand out in both university and job applications. I have no idea if that's actually true mind you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now