Keeping pigs near residential property

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Keeping pigs near residential property

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Plea for any legal advice or pointers to links for regulations please.

Neighbour is a registered small holding and has a 3 acre site/orchard. He recently started keeping a pregnant sow and subsequent piglets, over the far side, well away from the house. No smell and they move on fairly quickly.

We have come home today to see he is expanding his operation and erecting fencing/sheds for 2 more sows. Unfortunately these are about 20 metres from our house/conservatory.

Are there any rules on how far from houses they have to be that anyone can point me to?

I have found something that suggests rules do exist and something else that seemed to say between 60 and 200metres but nothing concrete. I will be calling adept for Agric or whatever it is called now - on Monday but thought if anyone had any info, I could save him the bother of a weekends building!
Guest55

Re: Keeping pigs near residential property

Post by Guest55 »

Try this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pig-welfare-regulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google seemed to give a lot of responses ..
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, I have spent the best part of the afternoon searching Google and reading that very guidance (I tend to do that first and post on here as a last resort!)

But, unless you have found it, in the guidance, I cannot find anything that relates to distance from residential houses. Most of this is about being licensed and the movement of pigs and what you can and cannot feed them...

I have found a telegraph article where the Telegraph solicitor says there are rules about how far from houses they have to be, but doesn't say what they are!! That's the bit I'm trying to locate!
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/fo ... pic=5017.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This seems to suggest that animal housing can't be erected closer than 400m away from residential property without planning permission. There are some good links in the thread too. I think maybe a call to your local planning department should be on your 'To do' list for Monday.

Alternatively if you are on good terms with this person, could you pop round for a neighbourly chat?

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showth ... a-dewlling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found that one too.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This might be more definitive:

> Google "how close can livestock be to dwellings"

> Scroll down to the 7th result "PDF Report - Local Government Ombudsman"

> Check out item 12 on Page 6, which states the following:
12. An agricultural building of less than 465sq m on a 1 hectare plot within a 5
hectare field can be built without applying for planning permission (i.e. is
permitted development) if it is not used for housing livestock within 400m of the
curtilage of residential dwellings. (The 400m zone is widely referred to as the
‘cordon sanitaire’.) Planning permission is needed to erect agricultural buildings
within the ‘cordon sanitaire’.
"Cordon sanitaire" would appear to be your starter for ten. :D

ETA: Idly wondering if kcg would worry about cows next door ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That's very interesting reading - thank you both - "the cordon sanitaire" sounds hopeful, although I suspect the "using it to house livestock that are about to give birth" will be the argument used...(the fact that they have just been moved there for that reason, is another story...)

We have been round but the neighbour is out - we will go back later armed with this info and see if he can be persuaded to move them to the other side, before we get the council involved...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I hope they are securely fenced in - pigs are dangerous and will eat anything.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We currently have sheep in the next door field and they very definitely aren't 400m away, but they don't have houses. Sometimes there are bullocks instead and they don't have houses either and on two occasions they have joined us for breakfast on the patio. Which is a bit scary, and not just because they eat all the Coco Pops.

I am not sure most farmers would appreciate the use of the term 'cordon sanitaire' - not round here anyway, but maybe in Bucks you get a better-educated class of pig breeder. :wink:

Good luck KCG - perhaps if you have a taste for pork you can do a deal with him somehow? Otherwise I reckon the council will be on your side.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We have just returned from a very civilised chat - the neighbours own the land but someone else uses it - it was useful to have the info ready in case we needed it but they were 100% understanding as they had had similar concerns about smells etc - they have said that they will ask him to move it to in line with the others (the far side) - and went off to track him down as we left - and we have offered to help pull out the fence posts he has already put in to ease the pain....

They did say they quite fancied some sheep - I quite like sheep!! Cows are just scary....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Cows can transmit ringworm to humans. Just saying :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now