Bond 9-10 year comprehension papers

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
workingmom

Bond 9-10 year comprehension papers

Post by workingmom »

Hello

My daughter is planning to give his 11plus in 2016 for 2017 entry.

We are planning to sit for the surrey and kingston schools.

We have started with the Bond 9-10 years english comprehension papers book and are finding it quite difficult.

Has anybody else started with this book ? How are you finding it ? We are on paper 4 and my daughter is not very keen on moving ahead with these.
mraj

Re: Bond 9-10 year comprehension papers

Post by mraj »

They are hard and long to finish in time.
piggys

Post by piggys »

What do you mean by "planning to give" the exam? You are using the verb "give" incorrectly here. I have heard several people do this in recent months. For some reason the verb "give" is being completely misapplied.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:What do you mean by "planning to give" the exam? You are using the verb "give" incorrectly here. I have heard several people do this in recent months. For some reason the verb "give" is being completely misapplied.
I think the word we are looking for here is 'take' :lol: . I assume that there is at least one language in which one 'gives' rather than 'takes' exams, as it does seem to be quite a popular choice of words. I must admit that when I am writing to my German-native-tongue friends, I probably resort to the verb 'machen' (to make) rather more often than proper use of the language would dictate.

Back to the original question, though. We never used the '9 - 10' Bond books, but as children taking the 11+ next September would be in year 5 now and therefore aged either 9 or 10, one would assume that they are appropriate for the age group. I suppose it depends whether the 'age group' books are just meant to be workbooks giving children of that age some extra work to do on top of their homework, or part of a process of working out whether they are of grammar school ability (in which case you would expect the exercises to be quite 'stretching' and quite difficult for the average child).

We did buy a Bond '11+' book a few years ago, but found that some of the passages used were even more bizarre than the actual papers in our area, which are generally regarded as being quite difficult.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am not a fan of Bond and would suggest you move over to CGP and Scofield and Sims. However if you insist on using Bond then drop down a year for a while and then go back up when she is mastering them more.

She is Y5. Do you know the format of the exams she will be sitting? You should be doing papers that mirror it. What is it exactly that she is finding difficult? DG
workingmom

Post by workingmom »

Thank you all for your replies.

With "Paper 4" in bond assessment 9-10 book, i believe she found a lot of information included and the complexity of the sentences - all using semi-colons. Also, the vocabulary, according to her, was challenging.

What i have tried - is to read the passage with her, splitting the meaty part and annotating as we read, which seemed to help her.

We do have book 1 of S & S, which she find easy. I shall try to get S & S book 2 and shall try to take it from there.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is the format of the exams you are taking?
Imranali

Post by Imranali »

workingmom wrote:Thank you all for your replies.

With "Paper 4" in bond assessment 9-10 book, i believe she found a lot of information included and the complexity of the sentences - all using semi-colons. Also, the vocabulary, according to her, was challenging.

What i have tried - is to read the passage with her, splitting the meaty part and annotating as we read, which seemed to help her.

We do have book 1 of S & S, which she find easy. I shall try to get S & S book 2 and shall try to take it from there.
Hi!

When we went to WHSmith, we took a look at Schofields and Sims and discovered they had no answers. Other books you could use are the CPG, Letts and the Bond: How To Do 11+ English. The last one is really good as it explains each aspect of the English exam, has a test and some exercises to do as well. My DD used it and found it very useful. :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Imranali wrote: we took a look at Schofields and Sims and discovered they had no answers.
There is an answer book which can be purchased separately:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehension-T ... HN1EWP89HY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

The Bond comprehension books are pretty tough.
They don't do them in age 8-9 either, which would have been a starter step.

You could try Bond English 8-9 or Up to Speed English 9-10 which both include some easier comprehensions to build confidence.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now