GCSE's for 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Altymumof2

GCSE's for 2018

Post by Altymumof2 »

DS will be sitting his GCSE's in 2018 and will have to choose his options soon. He has been told that they will be sitting 10 subjects. He will be able to choose 2 subjects if he opts to do triple science or 3 if he chooses dual science.
I haven't got a clue about GCSE's so wondered if I could ask your advice about the science subjects? Would doing double science put him at a disadvantage when applying to Uni? He has been predicted A* in chemistry and physics but prefers the arts and would probably prefer to study History / politics at Uni.
Thanks!
booellesmum

Re: GCSE's for 2018

Post by booellesmum »

Have the school given you an information pack about the GCSE's on offer?
I would start by getting him to make a list of the ones he really wants to do, the definite no's and the maybe's.
Look carefully at the course content for the subjects he likes. For example history will only concentrate on a small part of history.
It may be that if he isn't keen on what else is on offer he may have space for triple science anyway.
Ask at school if A level in a subject can be taken if haven't done the GCSE. We were told this was the case for geography. Good luck!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GCSEs are in the process of being 'reformed' - here are the changes for September 2016 start. The school should have an Options evening to explain these changes and an opportunity to talk to teachers. Do be aware that this is an opportunity to 'sell' their subjects and your son needs to choose for himself.

My advice would be to choose options that keep doors open - he may not think he's going to study sciences but choosing double may do that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -from-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More detail here ...
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

As a scientist, I would encourage triple science. It is very early in life to decide to rule science out as a potential interest or dare I say it, career option. At dds school, all those who are at all able are very strongly encouraged to take triple, and I agree it is worth it. The fact that he is predicted A* in two sciences would indicate to me that he has an aptitude, and tbh he is unlikely to have had enough exposure yet to decide it's not of any interest to him. GCSE triple science can be boring but it's a hoop worth jumping through.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If he has 10 subjects and three options, then presumably there is 7 compulsary subjects.
Assuming Maths, 2x English and the double science, there is still two others. If like DDs school you then chose 1 language and 1 humanity, the three free subjects is a lot of choice and you may find he can easily fit in triple science. If however, like my local school, there is compulsary ICT and RE, then you would need 3 options to cover eg. history, a language and an art option (you state he is interested in arts).
So I would say it depends on what the other 7 subjects are.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I have changed my mind on the issue of triple science V dual science .
On reflection, I have come around to idea that if a child is adamant that he/she does not want a career in a STEM/Medical and allied subjects there's nowt wrong with the dual qualification.

In my experience it's usually the STEM inclined pupils at yr9 who are most likely to know their own minds at this early stage.

If your child definitely wants to follow a humanity/linguist route , then dropping the triple for an extra language or humanity subject would be fine and I think most university admission officers would concur.

Having said that any child who is working towards top grades at physics and chemistry should not have too many problems with biology.

So ,if he is not more or less sure he does not want to pursue a STEM career, I would advise do triple science.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye - there is still a query over an application from a student doing double science at a GS where the uni knows that triple is the standard offer.

It implies the student is weaker ....
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:Catseye - there is still a query over an application from a student doing double science at a GS where the uni knows that triple is the standard offer.

It implies the student is weaker ....
I hear what you are saying.

But why force a child to do something they do not want to do? I think most top admin tutors are capable of working out why an applicant did extra language if DC is applying for Language course ( even at a top flight uni) instead of biology(or triple science) given all DC will only be doing 9-10 with the introduction of harder linear 1-9 gcses.

I think the issue you highlight is only really applicable for STEM students.

I try to avoid anecdotal (since it is not falsifiable) but DS hated with a passion his MFL, yes, he manage to get an A* in the end but sacrificed so much revision time on one subject and let one other subject slip from definite A* to an A!

But the upside is two life lessons he would have hopefully learned.

1) to have a mindset that he can do anything with hard work and perseverance .

2) it's not over until the "fat lady sings"-complacency and overconfidence will be the undoing of anyone who thinks it'll be a walkover.
doodles

Post by doodles »

The options booklet has arrived and DS has to make three choices on top of the 8 compulsory ( 3 science, 2 English, RE, maths, and French as his mfl). He's looking at geography, history and economics. DH is backing IT rather than economics and I think he should consider German as a second language instead of economics.

Anybody any experience of economics GCSE?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't do IT - I thought it was being phased out as a GCSE?

Economics can be picked up later -

No creative subjects or technology?