abbey school academic scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Imranali

abbey school academic scholarships

Post by Imranali »

hi,
My dd has got a letter from Abbey school .She has got the place .We want to apply for academic scholarship.There is no information in the letter regarding that.Does that mean we are not eligible .If anyone has any info on how to apply for academic scholarship and whats the procedure for that please help me.thanks
hermanmunster

Re: abbey school academic scholarships

Post by hermanmunster »

This is from the website:
Academic Scholarships are offered to the highest achieving candidates in the entrance examination for entry at age 11 (Year 7) - there is no separate Scholarship exam - and are awarded for five years, until the end of Year 11.
Like most schools all the candidates are considered for scholarships and they are awarded to the highest achievers

Most scholarships do not have much money attached to them - there is more usually in bursary funds which are means tested
The majority of (bursary) applications are made before a girl enters Upper III (Year 7) and decisions on Bursaries are made following the January Entrance Examinations; therefore all bursary applications should be received by the last Friday in November. The School is aware that family circumstances may change significantly during a child's school life, so requests for applications at other times for current pupils will be considered sympathetically if funds are still available.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Imranali, based on hermanmunster's reply, and the fact that your DD's offer letter does not mention a scholarship, I would assume that she is not eligible in which case unfortunately there is nothing else you can do.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The Abbey do not have a separate academic scholarship exam, they look purely at the results of the entrance exam. A friend of DDs was offered one a few years ago.

It only amounts to 10%, although there are other scholarships available I think (music, sport etc). You'd have to check the website about gem and I suspect you are too late to apply.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

My DD was awarded a drama scholarship. It was a separate test around the time of the exam - details were all on the website.

It gave no money off - just more opportunities. We did not take it up.

HTH
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It took me about 30 seconds to google it. Try "Sbbey School Reading scholarships"
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:It took me about 30 seconds to google it. Try "Sbbey School Reading scholarships"
If you put 'Abbey School Reading Scholarships' instead it might take even less than 30 seconds. :wink: :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
scary mum wrote:It took me about 30 seconds to google it. Try "Sbbey School Reading scholarships"
If you put 'Abbey School Reading Scholarships' instead it might take even less than 30 seconds. :wink: :)
:lol: :lol: fat fingers
scary mum
DaddySal

Post by DaddySal »

anyone heard from The Abbey school as how many offers to places for this year?

Regards
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

it is not something they publish - they can be flexible on their intake based on the candidates. Every now and then there are enough of a sufficient standard to support a 'bulge year' so it wouldn't really tell you much.