Admission into Buckinghamshire schoools-Living in Hillingdon

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopesurvives

Admission into Buckinghamshire schoools-Living in Hillingdon

Post by Hopesurvives »

Hi, We are very soon moving to Hillingdon with a daughter who is in Year 3 now. A bit worried about the secondary schools in Hillingdon(Not that I have researched a lot, but know that there are no grammar schools in the area). So the question is it possible to get into the Buckinghamshire grammar schools while living in Hillingdon.
I have looked up the distance - only commutable school in Buckingmashire seems to be Beaconsfiled Grammar School which is approximately 10 miles from us. Can I get a stats somewhere of how many children from Hillingdon get into the Buckinghamshire schools every year?. Is it even worth my daughter actually entering the entrance tests for Buckinghamshire grammar schools?
scary mum

Re: Admission into Buckinghamshire schoools-Living in Hillin

Post by scary mum »

First of all, I would research the local schools. Grammar school does not always mean it is the best school for your child and it may well be better for them to go to a local school & have local friends. Grammar schools really are not necessarily the holy grail, in spite of the hype around them. The stats are at the top of this section, and on the Bucks County Council website:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=41421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Rags

Post by Rags »

IME (some of it quite dated now, I admit) - areas which have grammar schools can sometimes have more a disparity with perceived school quality, I think.

In areas where there are no grammar schools, you don't get the separation of the nominally more academic, so there doesn't seem to be a significant difference.

I went to a Hillingdon comprehensive (some decades back) - which had formerly been 2 single-sex grammars, now combined. It had the problems that are often reported - disruptive pupils preventing learning etc, but also, when subjects were streamed (particularly for 6th-form) results were good, at the top end. More Oxbridge entrances than the nearest grammar schools, IIRC.

Grammar schools are the perfect solution - especially when there aren't any!
Hopesurvives

Post by Hopesurvives »

Thank you scary mum and Rags for your replies. I do agree grammar school is not the end goal in a child's life but is an option. As stated in my post my daughter is in year 3 now so I guess I have plenty of time(atleast I think so :)) to decide what is the best fit school for her while considering her preference as well.
I am trying to figure the options I have so that I can make an informed decision.
If my daughter stands a chance of getting into Bucks grammars I would at least do some reseach, visit those schools along with the local comprehensive schools which will help us as a family to come to a conclusion. If grammar schools are completely out of question (from admissions point of view) then I would not spend time on those schools.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

When comparing results you need to look at how well the high ability students achieve in the comprehensives. The Government (DfE) performance tables allow you to do this.

I think school visits in the school day are really important to get the 'feel' of a school - this is something Performance tables and Open evenings do not give.
GobOnStick

Post by GobOnStick »

Hi. My daughter goes to BHS from Uxbridge and there are a number of girls who catch the bus from there. Some come from Hillingdon and are obviously dropped off at the bus stop by their parents.
The school bus service is expensive and it's from New Denham. Local buses cheaper and quicker.
I hope this is helpful.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Hopesurvives of course you should do whatever you think is best in terms of your child's schooling however there are some outstanding schools in Hillingdon - Bishop Ramsay C of E, Vyners, Haydon and probably a couple of others. There are also some on their way to being good at the least if not already. Ramsay has strict criteria based on church commitments etc
The grammar school system is limited to a small number of boroughs/ counties nationally - it does not mean that a borough/county without a grammar school system does not have good educational provision.
I suppose you have to think which is the more likely scenario - you are able to move to a catchment area in Hillingdon with a really good school or that your child qualifies in the 11 + AND gets offered a place.
You still have a lot of time so good luck...