Audio books

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
redbrige

Audio books

Post by redbrige »

Can someone suggest good audio books to listen in car for children they are in year5
And where to download or buy or reserve in library ?
I was listening to few books in YouTube they don't seem to have much clarity in voice some of the Roalddahl books.
Yamin151

Re: Audio books

Post by Yamin151 »

The harrypotter books are excellent, read by Stephen Fry, he really reads them well and even if you've reads them and seen them films, they are still great to listen to.
Eion colfer Artemis Fowl books are also a good listen, as are Young Bond, by Charlie a Higson. All of these are ones we have enjoyed on long drives down to france too.
PDDad

Post by PDDad »

We recently stumbled upon "Because of Winn Dixie". I think you could enjoy it at any age. Our Y5 and Y3 girls loved it; I even heard my mother who was in the car for some of it, laugh and enjoy it!!!

We've only recently started listen to audio books so are also looking for recommendations.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Look for unabridged recordings. Every library has a couple of shelves of children's audiobooks.

The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents - Terry Pratchett

Any of the Geraldine McCaughrean books - very unusual writing style, great vocabulary, interesting stories

Anthony Horowitz books e.g. The Alex Rider series (...but, then...)

Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl series

Maybe the E Nesbit books, but don't start with them.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, ideally the BBC unabridged full cast production, narrated by Philip Pullman

If you're interested in shortened stories, the BBC audio dramatisations are lovely e.g. The Secret Garden.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Just William read by Martin Jarvis. I cannot recommend this highly enough. My dds are 15 and 17 and it still make us all laugh.

The Hobbit, Wind in the Willows, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Tom's Midnight Garden. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin151 wrote:The harrypotter books are excellent, read by Stephen Fry, he really reads them well and even if you've reads them and seen them films, they are still great to listen to.
Eion colfer Artemis Fowl books are also a good listen, as are Young Bond, by Charlie a Higson. All of these are ones we have enjoyed on long drives down to france too.
We like anything read by Stephen Fry....!!
salsa

Post by salsa »

How to Train your Dragon, by Cressida Cowell. The whole series read by David Tennant. He brings the books to life in an incredible way, changing voices and accents for all the characters. Some of the audiobooks are on YouTube. Enjoy!

Like others have said, the Harry Potter Series read by Stephen Fry. Fabulous!
Amber

Post by Amber »

When my kids were little we had a tape which accompanied a book of stories from around the world. Christopher Timothy was reading a story which I think must have been called 'Tikky Picky boom boom' - it was about yams coming to life. It was sheer music, the way he read it. If anyone has got this on tape or CD I would love to hear it again and would part with hard cash for it...I assumed it must be in my loft, but a recent attempt to clear that out didn't yield it.

'Brother dog, brother dog, the yams are coming...and all up the road, on little yam feet they came...tikky picky boom boom, tikky picky boom boom, tikky picky boom boom, boof!'
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: Google and you will find it on oh my tracks. Enjoy!
doodles

Post by doodles »

+1 for Harry Potter and Just William
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now