New and keen, but confused.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bitemarx

New and keen, but confused.

Post by bitemarx »

Hello everyone,

I'm keen (as the title says!) to find out more about the 11 plus exams, and entry into grammar schools. I would also like to get some information about applying for (?)bursaries from independent schools. However, I am not sure where to start looking; there seem to numerous links on this forum, as well as a few hundred more on Google.

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction to start off?
FYI, I am almost completely ignorant when it comes to 11 plus, grammar schools, bursaries, et al.

My son is currently in year 4, and I'm concerned that it may be too late to get him started on the road to the 11 plus exams....

Any replies, guidance or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
M
hermanmunster

Re: New and keen, but confused.

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Bitemarx and welcome to the forum!

I see you are in Nottingham which limits the options a little as regards to state Grammar Schools as there aren't any. there are obviously more popular comprehensives and also independents.

Some children on the eastern side take the 11 plus exam for Grantham schools http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise it is the independent schools: Trent, Nottingham Boys, Loughborough etc - have you any thoughts about any of these ?
they all offer small scholarships and also some bursary funding, the only way to know how much is to have a chat with the Bursar at each of them.

herman

ETA : http://www.trentcollege.net/460/admissi ... ces-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

With your DS in Y4, it's not too late at all for considering 11+. Some do start doing a bit of work in Y4, but with a bright child, Y5 should be more than enough. The only thing to bear in mind is that if you were to consider going down the tutoring route (which I am not suggesting you should/need to), you may want to start looking for a tutor now to commence from September, as they can get booked many months in advance.

I think it would be worth finding out among the parents in your local school who has been doing 11+ recently and ask the parents for pointers, tutor suggestions etc. The best people to speak to would be parents of children in current Y6, or potentially Y5. From experience, parents from the same year group can be a bit secretive/not willing to share much information about the 11+, as they see others primarily as competition. It is a bit sad that some people think that, but nothing you can do about it. When we were going through the 11+ for the first time, I knew absolutely nothing and the only people who offered some information and advice were parents of older children.

Good luck!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Sephora

Post by Sephora »

We have just been through the 11+ like you new, and very little knowledge.
All I can recommend thorough our experience is seriously look into 'one to one' tuition if you can afford it.
We just managed a few sessions(5)just before the exams. It really helped, wish we had started sooner.
Good luck
bitemarx

Post by bitemarx »

Thank you for your replies.
I'm actually hoping for my son to take the exam for the school at GRantham. With regards to private tutoring, what would be the best way to find a good tutor?
My son is relatively strong in his English, but will need work with Mathematics, and the other aspects of the exam.

Edit: HAs anyone used Lessons in the Post? I have been trying to contact them, but have not heard back from them.
Is there anyone in the Nottingham area who use First Class Learning?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have you seen the practice materials suggestions for Lincolnshire here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the exam is VR and NVR
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

bitemarx wrote: With regards to private tutoring, what would be the best way to find a good tutor?
Word of mouth. Ask other parents whether there is someone they know and could recommend and ask why - what in particular did they/their child like about the tutor in question? If you are going to have 1-2-1 tutoring, it's not only the tutor's knowledge and reputation, but also personality and teaching style that need to match what your child needs. E.g. some tutors are very strict/formal, some more relaxed in their approach and both can achieve equally good results.

If you have two or more names, talk to them on the phone to get a feel for their way of doing things. Do they have a standard approach they always use, or do they adjust it depending on the particular child's needs? Do they like parents to be involved, or do they prefer for them to stay out of it all? Do they set homework and if they do, how much?

I once heard of a tutor (first-hand account) who had her students work at the kitchen table while she was getting dinner ready. We didn't go for that one...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now