Bexley test dates Sept 2016 for 2017 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PettswoodFiona

Bexley test dates Sept 2016 for 2017 entry

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hiya, from someone whose DD went through this last year good luck to all taking tests in September. I am sure you are keeping a close eye on the Bexley tests page but just in case you missed it the test dates are now confirmed:

"The test sessions will be on Tuesday 20 or Wednesday 21 September 2016. All registered children who attend a primary school in Bexley will sit the test on the morning of 21 September, either in their own school or in a test centre. All other children will be invited to one morning or afternoon test session on either 20 or 21 September at a secondary school in Bexley."

Source: http://www.bexley.gov.uk/selectiontests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsa

Re: Bexley test dates Sept 2016 for 2017 entry

Post by salsa »

Hi PettswoodFiona,
I missed your post, so I had posted on the old thread. One question though. It says it is mostly multiple choice. Was it mixed last year? How would that work, I wonder?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I asked DD this as someone else had asked earlier but the Kent, Newstead and Bexley all blurred. I gather there were some elements in Bexley where you had to write about a passage for example.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I understand. Thanks for asking her. I just can't see how a mixed paper could be marked entirely by a computer. Unless they have people marking the standard parts? All 5,000 of them?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:I understand. Thanks for asking her. I just can't see how a mixed paper could be marked entirely by a computer. Unless they have people marking the standard parts? All 5,000 of them?
The local Consortium here manages to get two papers (Maths and English) for each of about 4000 candidates marked by hand, so I can't see that that in itself shouldn't be possible. Ours are set and marked locally rather than all being sent off somewhere to be marked within the same time frame as lots of other areas' papers, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you ToadMum. Is your test answered directly on the paper then? No separate answer sheet? Bexley do say that the test is computer marked as there is a separate answer sheet for the multiple choice. I would prefer all the questions being answered on the paper, though. I think it's more natural and minimises the issue of skipping an answer and being out of synch.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The answers are written on the papers themselves. Up to and including the year DS2 took the test (2014 entry), there was a separate multiple choice GL VR paper with a separate answer sheet, which was presumably marked off-site, but now the English paper includes a few VR questions and the Maths some NVR.

http://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?option ... &order=ASC
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you for this. It is very different to the CEM sample papers we have seen. Who administers these? Are Durham University involved?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:Thank you for this. It is very different to the CEM sample papers we have seen. Who administers these? Are Durham University involved?
Sorry if I have mislead you - I just posted use link to the CSSE as an example of papers which are hand marked in their thousands every year. The exams are nothing to do with CEM; they are produced by the Consortium schools themselves.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I see. Thank you for taking the trouble to post the link, anyway. Durham do both formats, so that's why it's confusing. The standard version I have found is for a girls' school. I have no idea how many seat the test for them. Somehow, I find it difficult to believe that the Bexley test will be manually marked.
http://www.cchs.co.uk/ch/content/downlo ... _Sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now