St Helens or Northwood College

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum_germany

St Helens or Northwood College

Post by mum_germany »

Hi
DD has got offers from St Helens and Northwood College. We are in process of shifting to UK and heard both schools are good - any advice on what option may be better?
thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: St Helens or Northwood College

Post by Daogroupie »

St Helens, much more academic. A DC I know got Northwood last year after not even bothering to go to the interview. DG
mum_germany

Post by mum_germany »

Thanks Daogroupie.
DD has a straight offer from St Helens and an offer from Northwood College with academic scholarship.. so thats what has got us thinking.. is the gap between the two schools significant?
Mumworried

Post by Mumworried »

I would select St Helen's - very academic
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of a student sitting with 50% academic at Northwood but will choose another school with no scholarship.

Ironically St Helens was set up by a teacher who was approached by families who were in trade. Northwood would only accept girls from old money like farming and not the daughters of those "in trade"

How wonderful that the daughters of trade brought such strength to St Helens that is now the much academically stronger school!

The whole feel of it is so much better. I love the website and the personal touch of the Head in her blog. I know of two dds who are thrilled to bits to get an offer from St Helens and will be turning down St Albans and St Margarets to go there. DG
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Last year we had similar offers ie scholarship at Northwood, non scholarship place at Habs and St Helen's. Had we not had Habs we would have gone for St Helen's as we loved the Headmistress there and preferred the vibe there.
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

We were in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago. Two offers of academic scholarships from Northwood College and St Helen's. We chose St Helen's as it is the more academic.

The school is currently going through some building and renovation works which will result in a brand new junior school and improved facilities for the senior school. The front of the school is currently undergoing a big make over the outcome being a new reception area and bright naturally lit airy communal areas for the girls to meet - it will also be used to display artwork.

The head has introduced a new website and new look weekly newsletter. A secure parent portal platform has been enabled providing parental access to school reports, assessments etc.

DD has lots of friends - a result of different tutor groups, teaching classes, language classes and maths classes (they are set in maths 1-4). Latin is now a compulsory subject in Y7 (introduced Sept 14) They are also required to do another language with the options of Spanish, Mandarin and German.

The school has strong links with Merchant Taylors boys school (where my son is), providing the opportunity to mix with boys for charity events, CCF training etc.

Good luck with your decision.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Another vote for St Helen's. It's in a different league academically from Northwood College. The Head has big plans for the school and I imagine it will be similar to Habs/NLCS in the future. Currently results are very similar anyway. It's a fantastic school, my dd is really thriving there. The quality of teaching is outstanding but there is also a very warm, nurturing atmosphere. Staff (including senior staff) are only too happy to speak to parents via phone or email if there are any issues.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Also - beautiful grounds at St Helen's, they take up the whole block....with further improvements being made as mentioned above. Great combination of lots of green space but still being on top of the tube station - very convenient!
mum_germany

Post by mum_germany »

Thanks for your advice - very helpful and useful for decision between SHS and NWC.

Since we had not firmed up where we would stay in London, we had also applied to Wimbledon High School. We have also received an offer from Wimbledon High - any advice on Wimbledon High vs St. Helens? I understand that both are good schools - we are open to staying near either school locations.