GCSE's 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Altymumof2

GCSE's 2018

Post by Altymumof2 »

DS will be sitting his GCSE's in 2018 and the school have announced that the boys will be sitting 10 subjects. 8 compulsory and 2 from choice if taking triple science or 7 compulsory and a choice of 3 if sitting dual science. Is 10 subjects fairly standard for other schools? DS is at the local GS.
Catseye

Re: GCSE's 2018

Post by Catseye »

AGGS do nine don't known about any of the other Trafford Schools.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

That is very similar to my DS at our local GS.
Slight difference is they all do triple science,maths,English and a language giving them three choices left. They also all do short course RE in year 10.
It's a bit daunting I feel,being the first year of a new system. The top sets for maths previously did maths in year 10 and I think ( although I'm not sure) AS in year 11. The school aren't doing that any more as they feel although previously the whole of the two top sets would get an A* in year 10 they think it would be less likely they would all get 9s.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It won't be the first year for Maths and English - students have already started the new GCSEs to sit them in 2017.

You might want to look at the 'Timeline of reform' I posted as it shows which subjects will be 'new' in 2018.
doodles

Post by doodles »

GCSEs in 2018 for ds2. Just making the choices but has 8 compulsory and then three choices. Historically his maths set has done an additional maths exam but I'm not sure what will happen now they are changing - it's a bit hazy as ds1 was in the bottom set so it never crossed our radar but I'm sure all will become clear at parents evening next week. :lol: Anyway 11 or 12 on the cards for him in 2018.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Ours take RE in year 10, then a further 10 in year 11. 7 compulsory and 3 options.
They used to do additional maths if really good, but apparently school no longer doing this as the maths GCSE has become harder with the change in levels, and this incorporates the extra maths they would have done.
Dilbud71

Post by Dilbud71 »

In 2018, our GS will do 6.5 compulsory (Maths, English, Eng Lit, a modern lang, double science and 0.5 RS) with 4 options. Triple science will be classed as an option. Additional maths will be 'by invitation' and if asked you do not have to do it. In total they will be doing 10.5 GCSEs.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

DD is taking 10 in 2018 including triple science. I raised the issue of linear format and still doing so many, the school are allowing DDs to choose one less option if they would prefer (DD struggled to drop enough to get to ten so that's not appealing just now) and also said they will be keeping an eye on how pupils are coping and may suggest dropping one later on. I am a bit worried as to whether that will happen or not, on the basis that 9 good results would be better than 10 mediocre, but we'll see how it goes. I guess they are all in the same boat.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The linear format has been going for several years now - it's just the specifications that are changing.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote:The linear format has been going for several years now - it's just the specifications that are changing.
What do you think about the linear format, Guest55? This return to it, is it positive or negative?

I was not in this country in the time of the O levels; my DD sat her GCSE as modules less than 10 years ago. I have to say, I liked the modules, especially as teenagers (especially boys! :roll: ) are learning to be responsible and organised, so I feel it is good to leave them the marge to make some hiccups on the way!
My DS, who will be sitting his GCSE in 2017, says it is fine to have GCSE linear, but I am rather worried about him; I think he does not really realise the situation… or maybe it is me fretting to much! :roll: :roll: At least, with modules, you do not feel that all the eggs are in the same basket! :D :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now